Washer standpipe to vent spacing

xd11January 21, 2011

My old washer dumps into a 1 1/2" standpipe then through a p trap and into the wall and down to a 4" main in the basement crawl space (accessible). The adjacent laundry sink tees into the same standpipe (above the trap of course).

Due to a sink change, we are now out of code and I want to upgrade the standpipe and trap to 2" for flow safety.

Won't dare go into the wall to replace the 1 1/2 in there -- old plumbing.

I would love to just drop the standpipe through the floor into a p trap (yep, keeping less than 48" long) and the n horizontal before turning down 3 more feet to the 4" main.

First question is how long must my horizontal be to AVOID the p trap becomming an S trap which is not legal in NJ.

Second question depends on the answer above. Assuming some horizonal length can keep the P a P, then I can run the piping two ways. (1) down to the 4" main Teeing into the main in a 2" T (which currently has the 1 1/2 old pipe in. OR (2) replace the 1 3/4 in the crawl space from the main all the way back to the floor above, and T the new standpipe (after the P).

The second question is whether I am close enough to the vent to be legal in (1) or (2) above. Does a vent have to be right above the T where the lines merge, or is the vent a vent for a line if it is within some number of feet from the merge?

A little guidance would help here.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazypup

The minimum horizontal distance from the trap weir to the vent opening is 2x the trap tailpiece diameter.

I.E. if you have an 1-1/2 trap it must have a minimum of 3" horizontal tailpiece from the trap weir to the vent opening.

Bookmark   February 6, 2011 at 4:25AM
More Discussions
Plumbing Kohler Ceiling Tub Filler K-922
Anyone have experience installing this laminar flow...
Logcabin1
Water Softener - calling justalurker
Hopefully you are still around. I had reached out a...
toddimt
Rainfresh water filter leaks from top.
I have a Rainfresh water filter. It seems to be leaking...
gtrshop
troubleshooting thermostatic valve for shower
troubleshooting thermostatic valve, no hot water and...
bathroomblues1
LaToscana Novello Thermostatic Shower Valve
Trouble with LaToscana Novello Shower Valve- no hot...
bathroomblues1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™