Please Help dog with sore rash on lips/ Muzzle

brighton-carlJune 8, 2009

Hi

My dog (German Shepherd) has had a rash for over a year now around her lips and muzzle, my vet has treated with antibiotics and advised me to try sudocream and that didnt work even afer upping the strengh of the antibiotics, so i had biopsys done around the muzzle and it was sent to a dermatoligist but nothing was found and there and there were no sore/ blisters around her anus or feet so ruled out some terrible disease i cant remember the name of.

My vet then continued the antibotics twice daily 500mg and gave steriod tablets 3 times a day and stopped taking the anti's after about 8 weeks and then weaned off the steriods and gave me a steriod cream to apply twice daily for the last 4 months. Over a few months it did ease but still there, and coming completly back, although on the whole this has reduced by half, it is still quite bad and makes me sad that i cant resolve it over this lengthy time as it looks so sore for her.

Has anoyne ever heard of this kind of thing or able to offer any advice or information, as i so want to get this resolved for her, she cant keep her sore lips with only steriod cream to keep it slightly at bay.

Any info greatly welcomed.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pjb999

Food allergy? Yeast infection?

Bookmark   June 8, 2009 at 3:07PM
GammyT

Did the vet do allergy tests?

This is only on her muzzle. First thing I would look at is what is she sticking her nose into. It could be something as simple as a plant in your yard.

Bookmark   June 8, 2009 at 3:39PM
mazer415

To aid you in helping find the culprit of your woes, we need lots more information.
Lets start with what your dog eats. Details please. Next what does your dog chew on - the more detailed you get the better we can try and help you...
Everything from what your dog comes in contact with to waterbowl, food dish, food, drink, snacks, chew toys etc....we need more 411 please

Bookmark   June 8, 2009 at 4:02PM
nancyinmich

Yes, more info is needed.

I had a dog once who got red raised bumps on his lips from eating fom a plastic bowl. When I switched to ceramic, it went away.

Bookmark   June 8, 2009 at 6:10PM
cindyxeus

It sounds like lip Fold pyroderma /lip fold dermatitis check out this link below that shows pictures and discusses treatments others have used. If the link doesn't work for you type this in your search engine and you should find some info.

Here is a link that might be useful: Discussions on lip fold pyroderma

Bookmark   June 10, 2009 at 9:22PM
More Discussions
please help with a question about euthanizing a dog
my dog was put to sleep yesterday and i am upset with...
robin7500
How to approach neighbors re: horrendous dog poo smell?
I'm sorry if this post is long, but I'm trying to give...
loralee_2007
Am I confusing my cat?
I've had My Manx for 3 years this summer. He was an...
craftylady
Spray to deter cat scratching woodwork
Does the spray work? I almost bought a bottle at PetCo...
schoolhouse_gw
My cat has an unknown illness! Help!!!!
Hi There I have a 14 and a half year old male cat Sylvester...
rachelmfi
Sponsored Products
Arteriors Home - Trinity Boxes Set of 2 - 2222
Great Furniture Deal
N/A Ceiling Fans Cozette Collection 24 in. Indoor Satin Nickel Ceiling Fan
Home Depot
Fleur-De-Lis Rug 8' x 11' - BROWN/RED
$2,299.00 | Horchow
Fleur-De-Lis Rug 8' x 11' - BGE/LT CELEDON GR
$2,299.00 | Horchow
Modern Flat TV Stand 9D
Italy Design