running a RO line to a insinkerator dispenser - bad idea?

gt4889January 20, 2011

I've read that water filtered by reverse osmosis is very "aggressive" and shouldn't be run through any dispenser other than the one that came with the unit.

I'd very much like to run my RO water line, along with the insta hot line to one, hot/cold, dispenser. Anybody have any experience doing this, good or bad?

thx!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
justalurker

Water is by nature a great solvent and RO water is even better. Since RO water has had pretty much everything but the H and O removed it will leach minerals and metals from anything it is exposed to.

RO faucets are usually lead-free and the quality ones are NSF certified. If you are intent in running RO water to another faucet contact the faucet manufacturer and ask them what the faucet is made of. Tell them you want to run RO water to it and see if they have any specific info.

Bookmark   January 20, 2011 at 8:32PM
busboy

I gave up on instant hot water dispensers after the first replacement. At one time I did have RO hooked up-can't remember the second time...but it could be why the second one started tasting so bad so soon. If you install an instant hot water heater I would stay away from RO supply. Now that I think about it the second time I had a simple inline filter hooked up. That may have removed enough minerals to cause leaching.

Bookmark   January 22, 2011 at 10:56AM
aliceinwonderland_id

If you want RO with an instant hot water heater, just make sure that:

1) The tank is stainless steel
2) The faucet is low/no lead

There are many, many, many faucets that are fine and several tanks. One person's bad experience with inappropriate equipment is not a reason to stay away from RO supply to an instant hot. If done correctly, you will have NO issues whatsoever.

Bookmark   January 22, 2011 at 12:00PM
busboy

You are probably correct alice, a high end unit that will probably NOT be in Lowes would be OK.

Bookmark   January 23, 2011 at 9:58AM
More Discussions
Hard Water or What?
We are renting an older duplex home in CT, and the...
roysterfam
troubleshooting thermostatic valve for shower
troubleshooting thermostatic valve, no hot water and...
bathroomblues1
Does reverse osmosis water corrode copper plumbing? The answer ..
The answer is YES. I did a very unscientific study...
ohmmm_gw
New under mount sink - drain off-center?
I had a new granite countertop installed with an under...
mike_lee2
Trying to verify gas pipe size
I am installing a new natural gas range and oven, and...
hoolabob
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™