What soap leaves the least scum or film in shower?

sheilajoyce_gwMarch 25, 2008

What brand soap leaves the least amount of soap film on the shower? I am using Dove because it is somewhat moisturizing, but it is awful in depositing soap film. I know that liquid soap is the best, but I like the bar of soap and using a washcloth. Any suggestions on brands?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bestlawn

Really, if you think leaves too much, there is no bar soap to use LOL. Dove and Lever leave the least soap scum - not much tub or tile buildup. I'm very picky about my tile shining, and neither of those work me nearly as much as other bars. I should insert that I have only used pink Dove for the past 12 or 13 years. Haven't used the white, so I don't know about that one. Just bought 4 bars yesterday, so I'll see. Coast is the absolute worst. Stopped using Lever after they took out the scent.

Bookmark   March 25, 2008 at 8:33PM
bestlawn

Really, if you think Dove leaves too much

Missed it after I proofed it. Dang

Bookmark   March 25, 2008 at 8:34PM
vannie

Could it be your water? I've used Dove for as long as I can remember and I sure don't see a problem w/ it leaving scum. I wouldn't give up Dove soap for anything!

Bookmark   March 25, 2008 at 8:36PM
IndianaKat

I never have a bathtub ring problem with either Dove or Caress....original Zest (for ones who prefer a deodorant bar) is the best for leaving no ring.....Coast, Dial and Irish Spring or the WORST I've seen for "scum-i-ness". I'm with Vannie...could be a hard water problem.....

~Kathy~

Bookmark   March 25, 2008 at 8:51PM
maddielee

I'm finding that the liquid soaps leave less residue then the bar soap.

ML

Bookmark   March 25, 2008 at 9:41PM
bestlawn

Forgot about Caress. Kathy's right, it doesn't leave much soap scum either. I had to stop using it 20 or so years ago because of my allergy. I have eczema and the oil in Caress irritated me something awful. I really liked the soap though.

Zest, however, does not clean. I couldn't believe how dirty my light-colored drying towel was after showering with Zest. I stepped my butt back into the shower and used whatever liquid soap I had. They never promised Zest will clean you, only that it won't leave soap scum on you.

And if there are musty underarms, they will still be musty. LOL

Bookmark   March 25, 2008 at 9:50PM
lindyluwho

Liquid soap doesn't leave all that scum behind. Took me awhile to convince DH to change but he finally did and it really made a difference.

Linda

Bookmark   March 25, 2008 at 10:11PM
OklaMoni

I have a chocolate brown shower/bathtub combo. The only thing not leaving scum is liquid soap.

All others do leave a really visible soap rest.

Moni

Bookmark   March 25, 2008 at 10:31PM
shequit

I have not been around for a while - don't go there!

But, I will tell you, I use "Gel-Gloss" on my tubs (not the bottom-too slippery). It is a cleaner and polish which is used for boats, marble, acrylic but also is great for porceline. When I take a bath (large tub), I drain the tub and wipe it dry. The Gel-Glos keeps it sparkling for a long time. I also use it on my other sinks and tubs (never on the bottom). I keep a micro cloth nearby the fixtures and use it regulary to wipe. Trust me, between the "GelGloss" and the microfiber cloth, your cleaning time will be cut in half, if not more.

Better - hire a person to do it for you!! I am thinking about how to fit that into my budget!!!

Bookmark   March 25, 2008 at 11:12PM
mcmann

There was a discussion about this topic on one of the other forums (maybe kitchen or bath) and several people said that liquid soap has a different make up and doesn't leave scum. One fellow was a chemist and he went into a lengthy explanation about the differences - bottom line - he said to use a liquid soap too.

Bookmark   March 25, 2008 at 11:27PM
sheilajoyce_gw

I know about liquid soap, but I just don't like to use it. So I guess our hard water is most the problem?

Bookmark   March 26, 2008 at 12:30AM
okwriter

shequit makes an excellent point. I don't know about the product she mentioned, but we actually applied boat wax to our tubs/showers when we moved in. About a one-minute swipe after each use is all it takes to keep it looking new.

Bookmark   March 26, 2008 at 6:42AM
Tally

Hard water definitely could be your problem.

I use a product called Shower Shine by Scrubbing Bubbles. I spray down the sides of the shower after I'm done. It seems to help a lot.

PS.. another Dove bar soap user here. AND we have hard water. Double whammy :(

Bookmark   March 26, 2008 at 10:59AM
Happy_Go_Lucky_Gayle

I battle Bath Scum on my old pitted tub. Thanks for all the info.

Gayle

Bookmark   March 26, 2008 at 11:52AM
nannybird_gw

Don't know if it is available in your area, but I used to use a bar soap called VEL. It's the only one I ever found that didn't leave soapscum. Had to quit using it, made my husband itch.

Nancy

Bookmark   March 26, 2008 at 3:23PM
IndianaKat

Nannybird....my Grandmother always used Vel....a nice creamy soap....I love it. Too bad your DH had a problem with it. Its still available at a few stores here. Love it and Sweetheart soap (my favorite).

~Kathy~

Bookmark   March 26, 2008 at 3:39PM
sheilajoyce_gw

Sweetheart soap is such a pretty bar. Woodbury soap was great with my allergies, but it is no longer available too.

Bookmark   March 26, 2008 at 7:09PM
More Discussions
Happy swap from Jacqueline
My swap from Jacqueline....such a happy package, with...
phyllis__mn
Cat spay and a belly bulge.
My daughter's 1 y/o cat was spayed 2 weeks ago. It...
moonie_57
Next season will be the last for Downton Abbey.
This is today's announcement from PBS. "Carnival...
maire_cate
Best Bra you ever had.
I have tried every bra brand there is, and cannot find...
jenson13
What's for Dinner ... Friday?
It certainly doesn't feel like spring here in my part...
gadgets
Sponsored Products
Terrene Mercury Blend 1x1 Glass Tiles
$15.95 | TileBar
Rotunda Shower Set #12 - with Straight Spout Vessel Faucet
Signature Hardware
Chrome Traditional Twin Concealed Thermostatic Shower Faucet Valve 1
Hudson Reed
Premier Copper Products 67 in. Hammered Copper Single Slipper Bathtub - BTS67DB
Hayneedle
KOHLER Shower Bases Archer 60 in. x 36 in. Single Threshold Shower Base in Ice
Home Depot