Studor mini-vent relocation?

jajacoJanuary 12, 2014

Currently, this is what the plumbing looks like under the kitchen sink. The pipe marked in red goes up to a Studor Mini-Vent that is as far up as it can go behind the left sink basin.

I am wanting to get the counter replaced (granite with undermount sink). The problem is that I don�t think there will be enough room back there when I change to an undermount sink. From my calculations, the average dimension of undermount sinks are about 18-20" (external), countertops 24", and the mini-vent is about 3" in diameter. As it is right now, with the topmount sink, there is just enough clearance to unscrew it in case it needs to be replaced. So, I am thinking that I probably want to relocate it. From my initial research, it appears that it is fine as long as it is 4" above the p trap. However, I�m confused because some places seem to indicate you want it up as high as possible. It seems whoever installed this wanted it as high above the sink as possible.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jajaco

What problems will I have if I change the configuration to something like this? Is this even possible?

Note 1: I know I should get a high loop on the Dishwasher return to the garbage disposal. I plan on doing that when I replace the dishwasher.

Note 2: Currently, Studor Mini-Vent is in an upright position. The pipe slant, then go up vertically. I figured someone might make a comment on this.

Note 3: This does not appear to be a vent stack system. It is a single story house, and looking under all other plumbing, it appears it is the only place with a Studor Mini-Vent. The rest of the house appears to be on a standard vent to the roof (I have two on the roof, presumably for the two bathrooms).

Note 4: This is in Tennessee in case anyone is curious for coding purposes.

Bookmark   January 12, 2014 at 4:35PM
bus_driver

Your plan does meet the UPC. The code is not clear about whether the 4" is above the top of the horizontal branch drain or above the centerline of that branch. Position it at least 4" above the top of that branch if possible.

This post was edited by bus_driver on Mon, Jan 13, 14 at 14:07

Bookmark   January 12, 2014 at 9:36PM
jajaco

Sorry, I'm a noob and don't know what you mean by UPC.

I will go ahead and install it 4" above the T from the p trap and vertical waste pipe. Instead of T between them. If this is an issue and I'm missing something please let me know. Thanks!

Bookmark   January 13, 2014 at 7:44PM
jajaco

So I'm still a little confused. Am it supposed to used a wye or sanitary tee or some other type of connection for the Studor, p trap, waste line intersection? Also do I just use PVC schedule 40 for all of this? I also read that I shouldn't use any glued joints for this... Is this right?

Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 9:58PM
jajaco

Bump... please help with the questions above.

Bookmark   January 18, 2014 at 2:00PM
jajaco

Bump... please help with the questions above.

Bookmark   January 18, 2014 at 2:17PM
bus_driver

The trap uses slip fittings. And often the trap is made of polypropylene which is not "glueable'. The other parts must be solvent welded unless they are threaded. Threaded joints are not solvent welded.

Bookmark   January 18, 2014 at 7:12PM
More Discussions
Fleck 5600SXT 64k Setup
Well I recently had a new water softener installed...
SheeB
Hot water backflowing into cold supply
OK, I'm rephrasing my question, as what I'd asked before...
pjb999
Details of a new residential water service
I'm in the planning stages of replacement for my 55...
dgeist
Electric Water Heater Problem
I have an electric water heater; about a month ago...
aeharris63
PEX... Is a manifold necessary?
Getting ready to build a house and currently talking...
rmverb
Sponsored Products
DaVinci Crescent Mini Crib 50 Coil Mattress
Overstock.com
Kyle One Light Etched Glass Mini Pendant
Lamps Plus
Auberge Monogrammed Fingertip Towel - WHITE (K)
$16.00 | Horchow
Langford Mini Pendant by Kichler
$80.00 | Lumens
A19 Lighting | Lunar Mini Pendant Light
$329.99 | YLighting
Westinghouse 4-1/2 in. x 4-3/4 in. Amber Ribbed Bell 8125900
$5.97 | Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™