X-Post - Hood inserts: Best vs. Zephyr?

Kek10March 1, 2013

(Cross posted from Appliances, hoping to get some more traffic.)

Searching on "Best" give way to many off-topic answers so I thought I'd post. ;)
We need a hood insert. (Please forgive me if the terminology isn't right here, for some reason I can't get hood-speak straight.) We are getting a wood hood to match the cabinets and need a vent to go inside (that's an insert, right?!).

Best was recommended by the KD and appliance person. I saw Zephyr recommended here. Z certainly seems quieter, although I can't get the DCBL feature b/c of our sizing.

Specifically looking at, both 600cfm:
Best CP351369SB (max 12 sones)
Zephyr Monsoon AK9234AS (max 6 sones)

We're getting Wolf 36" induction cooktop. So not a lot of heat to deal with, but cooking odors, grease, etc..

Max size is 34 3/8 x 19 1/4, and this will just squeak into our space. Is this considered undersized for an induction cooktop? (They recommended a couple of 28" ones and I said that won't work.)

I am leaning toward Zephyr, thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
corgimum

We have a 30" GE induction range with a 30" Zephyr Typhoon insert. In ideal circumstances we would have gone bigger on the insert but sometimes you have to compromise. Very happy customers!

Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 9:09PM
susanlynn2012

I have a Zephyr Range Hood that I love that is a lower model as I needed one that also did recirculating as well as vented in case I get permission from my townhouse one day to vent the range hood to the outside. Mine has carbon filters that work amazingly well and a very good filter inside. The Zephyr is quiet, beautiful, takes odors out, my carbon monoxide detector never goes off anymore when I am cooking using my GE Cafe Gas Range. I just found my model which is not powerful enough for you but it is a Zephyr and the best range hood I ever owned.

Zephyr Breeze II Series AK1200S. (S is for stainless)
30" Under Cabinet Range Hood with 400 CFM Internal Blower, 3 Speed Touch Controls, 2 Incandescent Lamps and Recirculating Option

Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 10:30PM
susanlynn2012

P.S. My range hood also came with halogen lights that I am using and they give off great bright clear light with no glare.

Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 10:32PM
sumac

Not to add to the indecision.... but these are made in the USA. Not finding too many reviews on them though....I know this model is not sized right for you, they make bigger ones :) I am in the same boat as you are right now and while I really want to buy made in USA the Zepher gets good reviews and looks to have a smaller footprint (but you need to read all the spec sheets to be sure) FWIW here is the link: http://www.ventingdirect.com/imperial-c2030sd4-430-cfm-air-ring-fan-range-hood-insert-for-30-custom-canopy-from-the-c2000-series/p398175

This post was edited by sumac on Sat, Mar 2, 13 at 4:44

Bookmark   March 2, 2013 at 4:42AM
More Discussions
Where to keep my oil near cooktop
So I am in the layout phase and trying to figure out...
Dietitian
Left/Right/Center & Related Hand & Faucet Questions
I've searched & read countless threads here over...
Carrie B
Closet pantry or not?
I am doing a reno of our kitchen and wanted to get...
abbabug
Color difference Benjamin Moore Regal Select versus Regal Classic
We've been using Benjamin Moore Regal Classic semi...
donaleen
raee - any tips for cabinet maker you recommended?
Sorry, I still seem to be unable to figure out how...
oasisowner
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™