i might be fostering this guy

NinapearlJune 2, 2010

this is "bentley"...

he is 4 and was returned to great dane rescue by his adoptive family because he is a fence jumper. apparently, they left him alone for hour after endless hour. what did they expect?? *sigh*

i don't have fence other than the underground fence that goes all the way across my end of the farm. my other 2 dane girls respect it and are very good about not testing the boundary. i am hopeful that i can convince bentley that there is no reason to bolt...lots of good food, lots of love, lots of couch time and 2 other ginormous dogs to keep him company. :)

i realize this will take a lot of time and dedication on my part but i there is something about this boy that keeps reeling me in! the rescue folks have agreed to bring him to the farm and spend a few hours with us. it'll be another 2 or 3 weeks, probably.

wish us luck!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
michael_so_fl

I do wish you luck, he looks like he needs a friend.

Bookmark   June 2, 2010 at 12:34PM
christine1950

I wish you the best of luck also, he has a sad look in his eyes, I think he will find his forever home with you and your family. He's going to be so happy with your other fur babies..
Christine
P.S. Please keep us posted

Bookmark   June 2, 2010 at 12:46PM
debbiep_gw

I do wish you luck.Maybe he won't think the grass is greener on the other side.He is very pretty..

Bookmark   June 2, 2010 at 12:46PM
pamghatten

People are such idiots .. I'd jump a fence too if left alone for hours! LOL!

He looks like he'll fit right in, and will probably be really happy to have not one, but 2 girls to play with.

Good luck with him ...

Bookmark   June 2, 2010 at 1:11PM
Ninapearl

thanks, all. yes, i think it's his sad eyes that draw me to him. the head of rescue is out of town this week so i will wait to hear back from her if it's a "go".

christine, are you reading my mind? LOL! if he does end up here and if he does do well, i can see me being a miserable foster failure!

Bookmark   June 2, 2010 at 1:25PM
christine1950

Nina, my rottie was to be a foster and after 2 days she was a keeper, I fell in love in the first few hours of her being with me. I was a foster failure too LOL... I'm so excited for you :>)

Bookmark   June 2, 2010 at 3:06PM
mazer415

Ohhhh a heating blanket that gives kisses - nice!!!!

Bookmark   June 2, 2010 at 3:50PM
lily316

What a sad sweetie. Go for it..Good luck.

Bookmark   June 2, 2010 at 4:26PM
Ninapearl

before i commit myself 100%, i am going to talk to a couple of behaviorists as well as the trainer who worked with me and the girls on the underground fence training. if i get some good vibes, i will pursue this.

my main concern, besides bentley deciding to head for parts unknown, is that he could impart this idea to ashley and pea which would NOT be a good thing. they have been 100% reliable with the underground fence and i want to keep it that way!

i'll know more next week when i talk to the head of rescue and learn a little more about his background, etc. i'll keep you posted. ;)

Bookmark   June 2, 2010 at 8:16PM
cindyandmocha

lol Nina, you are screwed. Those sad eyes do us in every time -- that's why I have Rusty. He was a fence "climber" not "jumper" - he can climb chain link like a monkey (or could in in younger years). I think having a pack reeled him in. He is happy now here with us.

Note, there have been more than a few times when he's either opened the front door (yes, he can do that), and escaped to the non-fenced front yard. He's been out there overnight several times and waits right outside wanting right back in. Apparently he likes being in here :)

Replacing the chain link with privacy fence for a half acre back yard was NOT cheap, but he was worth it.

You might have found that right new addition! keep us posted.

Bookmark   June 3, 2010 at 1:52AM
soinspired

Bless you Nina! We have two rescues we've only had for 1 year now. They are just adorable and follow us wherever we go. Great gardening companions too. We love them dearly and they love us too!

Bookmark   June 3, 2010 at 1:11PM
arlosmom

Bently is beautiful!!! I love great danes.

Bookmark   June 3, 2010 at 3:08PM
Ninapearl

could you guys all contact rescue and put a good word in for us? LOL

i will let you know what happens. some days i think i shouldn't rock the boat but what the heck. i live alone, have plenty of time to devote and God knows, since losing my corgi kids, i have a little corner of my heart that another dog could help fill up. :)

Bookmark   June 3, 2010 at 8:06PM
kim_okla

I was a rotten foster mom. The first time I got lucky and no one inquired. I had Buddy 12-13 years. The second time, the night I was to deliver Roxy I was sobbing. The rescue group said you do have first dibs of keeping her. So I did. I offered to pay for the next dog the family picked. It worked out that they weren't really ready for a dog.

This is Roxy. I call her a Notweiller

Bently is handsome dude. I hope you get him.

Bookmark   June 4, 2010 at 4:08PM
Ninapearl

roxy is adorable! did you tell her to say "cheese" or does she always smile when you're taking her picture? ;)

Bookmark   June 4, 2010 at 6:28PM
kim_okla

LOL I think I was asking her about all the new holes in the yard. See her little tail blurring, she was pleased with herself.

Bookmark   June 5, 2010 at 12:08PM
cindyandmocha

chuckle at "notweiller"

Bookmark   June 6, 2010 at 2:57AM
christine1950

No news yet???

Bookmark   June 13, 2010 at 7:30AM
Ninapearl

i'm loading up the girls in a couple of hours and heading to st. louis TODAY! i have everything ready...crate set up in the bedroom *check*, 3rd feeding station *check*, long line for bentley to drag around till he's dependable, *check*, extra collar/leash, *check*, a gallon of water from home for the girls *check*, ashley's boots in case, weather permitting, we can walk the 3 of them together, *check*, directions to the nearest kentucky fried chicken because i am providing lunch for the humans *check*...i think i have it all!

if bentley returns home with us, there will be lots of pics to follow!

wish us luck!!! :D

Bookmark   June 13, 2010 at 7:55AM
weed30

Good luck!

Bookmark   June 13, 2010 at 9:50AM
christine1950

You dont need luck Nina, your heart is what you have to prove what a good Mommie you are. I cant wait to see pictures of Bentley in his NEW FOREVER HOME !!!!!!! Yipppppeeeee Doing a happy dance for Bentley :>)

Bookmark   June 13, 2010 at 4:56PM
kim_okla

Can't wait for pics.

Bookmark   June 13, 2010 at 10:00PM
More Discussions
integrating a cat and a dog
i have a male neutered cat. he's been here for many...
randy41_1
Need help from you guys please!!
I think something changed with the forum and I cannot...
ElsasMom
Bentley & Olivia
olivia has settled in so well with a flawless transition,...
Ninapearl
Spray to deter cat scratching woodwork
Does the spray work? I almost bought a bottle at PetCo...
schoolhouse_gw
What cute/funny things do your cats do?
I have one cat who fetches and will bring me toys asking...
violetwest
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™