Now THIS is a Statement Stone!

purplepansiesMarch 6, 2013

Just looked at the Houzz email and saw this ideabook. Although it's not for me, I think it is incredibly cool!

http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/7794154/list?utm_source=Houzz&utm_campaign=u242&utm_medium=email&utm_content=gallery11

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
purplepansies

Oops! Let me repost with the live link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Agate Counters, etc.

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 8:15AM
beekeeperswife

not for me. I have textural issues. "Patterns in Nature" as my dd calls it. Looks like cells.

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 8:49AM
zeebee

Stunning. Way too busy for me in the kitchen, but the installations in the living area look like art. My tile store has one counter in a brown-beige agate with buried lighting and it is amazing.

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 8:58AM
gr8daygw

Would love in a restaurant, not in a home. Nature is pretty neat : )))

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 9:32AM
measure_twice

"Budget for this wall: $75,000 for the agate; $40,000 for fabrication (about $450 per square foot)."
Owie! Hoo boy. Gorgeous. Loud.

It is fun to look in Houzz and Architectural Digest and similar things once in a while to see really outstanding design. The concepts can often be translated into attainable design. The one thing missing, always, is the soft human touch. How would it look with the counters cluttered with today's junk mail, dinner half-made, plates waiting for the dishwasher, and kid's pictures on the cabinets (cuz' the fridge is non-magnetic)? I think the posters here do better design for real families.

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 9:43AM
karin_mt

Hmmm, I think it's cheesy. (Sorry!) those sliced open geodes remind me of gift shops, particularly the blue ones which are dyed an unnatural color. And the price, seriously? Seems awfully wasteful to me. Sorry to be a downer, but I can think of more useful purposes for that much money.

That said, I love looking at outrageous ideas like this, even if I don't like it. So thanks for sharing!

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 10:02AM
Linelle

I'm with Bee and Karin. There's something icky about it. And for all that money, the effect is ruined with seams. Give me a geode, just one.

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 10:08AM
drbeanie2000

I've seen that in real life - it's sort of cool. Also stones with amethyst, tiger's eye, or embedded ammonites. Neat for someone else, not for me. And I went for a crazy - but at least real! - stone myself.

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 1:10PM
pricklypearcactus

Wow, that's really bold! I sort of like the powder room where it's not very blue. But I think you'd have to have just the right house to use that kind of material. And I wouldn't be happy having it in a kitchen or on a fireplace.

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 1:18PM
ginny20

Thanks for posting this, purplepansies! Interesting!

My first take just glancing at some of the pictures was that it was kind of cool, but then I went back and read how they do it. I agree with the Houzz poster who said it was a shame to use the agate in this way knowing that down the road it would be tossed. And I don't like that glow-in-the-dark dining table. That is cheesy.

I do like the Marinace granites. But they are all natural, right?

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 8:05PM
purplepansies

I definitely agree that for the most part these are a bit much and ridiculously expensive. Out of all of them I like the last one best. I found a better view of it, and I actually like it here. With its natural color, in a SMALL area, I think it can be an interesting focal point.

Eclectic Kitchen design by Atlanta Furniture And Accessories The Furniture Guild

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 8:24PM
tinan

It reminds me of cells like someone else said - or that last one of horseshoe crabs!

Bookmark   March 7, 2013 at 12:37AM
doc8404

Oh my.

Doc

Bookmark   March 7, 2013 at 7:13AM
thepaintedlady_gw

I think it's really cool and a great example of the very wealthy finding new ways to differentiate themselves from more the more pedestrian looks of marble and granite - which is basically required these days.

Bookmark   March 7, 2013 at 7:34AM
More Discussions
Specific stacked upper cab questions
I'm looking for input as I get closer to finalizing...
melis918
"Ledge" sinks and accessories -- do you use them?
I'm considering an undermount stainless sink that has...
denizenx
Strategies for washing dishes in a large single sink vs double sink
Hi all, We have in our plans to get a large (33 inch)...
ontariomom
Does this butler pantry addition add or detract from my kitchen?
My midcentury home has a very open plan and lots of...
rockybird
Baker Cherry Shaker doors vs IKEA Laxarby doors
Please advise on Baker doors. I am going to get IKEA...
enduring
Sponsored Products
Ash Istria Lela Ottoman
Cost Plus World Market
Flat Chrome Modern Heated Bathroom Towel Radiator 59 x 23.5 & Valves
Hudson Reed
simplehuman Yellowfly Sensor Trash Can
$275.00 | FRONTGATE
Butler Butler Loft Madison Nesting Tables
Beyond Stores
Henri Studio Natural Grande Millennium Dolphin Fountain
Lamps Plus
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Surya Rugs Jill Rosenwald Iron Ore 8 ft.
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™