A few puppy raising questions

debbiep_gwJune 16, 2010

Our temps have reached a 100 this week and with temps like that we have severe thunderstorms so I borrowed a crate so Annabelle can stay inside to.She seems to be a very smart pup.She goes in the crate at 9:00 pm and I've taken her out at 12:30 and then again at 4:15.We get up at 4:15(husband leaves for work)so my dogs are accustomed to that time 7 days a week)Will I be able to drop the 12:30 potty break or should I continue it for a while,what do others do?How long should I expect her to hold it?Also at what age can she have a rabies shot?What age does she start heartworm prevention?I think she is between 8 and 12 weeks old.She has already had her first set of shots that we gave her ourselves.She will be spayed also at the age when they will do it.I have raised a basset from puppyhood but you can't compare that experience with this one.If anyone has raised a hound dog they will know what I mean.Very stubborn dogs.TIA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sylviatexas1

I wouldn't drop the frequency from every 3 hours to every 7 hours;
maybe start by taking her out at 1 for a few days, then at 1:30, etc.

How long dogs can "hold it" varies greatly;
you'll just have to learn what you can expect from her.

don't know the timing of vaccines;
it's been too many years since I've had a puppy.

Maybe Meghane will pop in pretty soon.

One of my oldest friends has had Bassetts as long as I've known her (we met at a Rolling Stones concert in 1965; she tells people she wasn't really a teen-ager, she was a very precocious 5-year-old!), & she would agree;
hounds are indeed stubborn!

but Annabelle looks like a Lab mix, & they're eager-to-please as well as smart;
I think you'll be delighted with how she learns.

Bookmark   June 16, 2010 at 4:26PM
cindyandmocha

A general rule of thumb is that a dog can hold it 1 hour each month of age up until 6 months old. After that, you should be able to expect an all day hold.

However, consider what you would do. I can hold it all day myself but I don't find it comfortable.

Bookmark   June 19, 2010 at 3:30AM
bigdogmom48

As far as the shots are concerned, your vet will be able to help you there. If you don't have a vet, your local animal shelter should be able to help you. It used to be that spaying was done at 6 months, but I think it is being done earlier than that now.

Bookmark   June 23, 2010 at 2:00PM
Meghane

Distemper/parvo vaccines are every 3 weeks until puppy is 18 weeks old. Your vet will know which other vaccines are needed in your area (lepto, parainfluenza, bordetella, hepatitis, etc). Rabies vaccine requirements vary by state; obviously your vet will know the law. Heartworm prevention starts at 6 weeks. Deworming is every 2-3 weeks for at least 2 rounds. Physical exam is important at 6-8 weeks and at least again at last vaccines to make sure there are no congenital defects etc. Spay is before first heat cycle to prevent breast cancer later in life. For most hounds, that means spay at 4-6 months.

Bookmark   June 23, 2010 at 8:41PM
More Discussions
Smelly dog ears
I am not used to having a long floppy eared dog (Dachshund)....
lily316
Dog still has fleas after using Frontline Plus..
Two weeks ago, I gave my dog a bath and then applied...
dianamo_1
Can we say G A S
And it's not me, dh or my two old dogs. It's the new...
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
My cat won't eat or drink
My cat Shonen stopped eating and drinking 3 weeks ago...
andrea_san_diego
Poison Control link
Some time ago Christine shared the following link to...
socks
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™