verifying correct gas flow to range?

stuarbcJanuary 15, 2014

Builder had the plumber install the gas lines for my house. The line enters my house as 3/4" galvanized pipe, goes into the attic and then branches off. One branch reduces down to 1/4" copper tubing and then run across the house (in the attic) about 40' before dropping down to the gas range. The other line stays 3/4" piping to a stub out on the side of the house. I have to run piping from the stub out to a fire pit. After researching the size pipe needed for the fire pit, I am concerned that the 1/4" tubing he ran to the range is not enough. I confronted the builder and said that per what I saw on the internet listing code requirements, the pipe appeared to be undersized. He would not change it....stating that that is the size they have always used and have had no problems.
I purchased one of the NXR 30" ranges that have 4 x 15000 btu burners and a gas oven.....so pretty high capacity. I was trying to find a way to verify that the range is getting the proper flow.....but do not know of a way to measure BTUs.

The only way I could think of would be to run one burner on high and see what the flame looks like.....then turn everything on and see if the flame looks the same or smaller. If it is smaller, that should show that the flow is restricted.

Is there a better way?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aliceinwonderland_id

Call your gas company tech support and ask what size line is required for your range.

Bookmark   January 15, 2014 at 2:10PM
geoffrey_b

It is customary to use 1/2" black pipe (iron pipe) for a gas range. For my detatched heated garage I used 1/2" id copper tubing - about a 60' run.

Are you sure it's 1/4"?

Bookmark   January 15, 2014 at 2:23PM
stuarbc

it is 3/8" OD.....which I understand is 1/4" tubing

Bookmark   January 15, 2014 at 2:31PM
aliceinwonderland_id

3/8" tubing 40 ft in length will get you about 45 cubic ft of gas per hour at residential pressure, a bit over 45000 btu.

Bookmark   January 15, 2014 at 3:25PM
stuarbc

Is residential 2 psi? Per my review of the sizing charts and the attached diagram.....I show that I would need 1" in the main line and the line to the range would need to be increased from 1/4" copper to 1" if it were to remain copper.

Bookmark   January 15, 2014 at 3:32PM
gmatx zone 6

Stuarbc - call your City Code Enforcement Office and ask them.

Bookmark   January 15, 2014 at 3:35PM
More Discussions
Water Softener - calling justalurker
Hopefully you are still around. I had reached out a...
toddimt
Toilet swirls, but won't flush!!
Very frustrated. The toilet seems to be ok, it gets...
edweather
Water pressue and other plumbing issues (MULTIPLE ISSUES - LONG)
I have a couple plumbing issues in my house. Some background... Approximately...
gtrshop
Inspection Hell (or why not to DIY)
Hi everyone, First time poster but long time lurker....
giantsean
Can i have a pan put under a water heater that is aleady installed?
I dont have a pan under my water heater and i fear...
tlbean2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™