My little tea nook

schoolhouse_gwMarch 17, 2014

I have my little table in the pantry, to take tea on snowy days as I watch the bird feeder from the window. In an issue of Cottage Kitchen I first saw this idea and fell in love. But where would I find a table small enough to just squeeze in my wee pantry? it hit me this morning - in the garden! So I fetched it and voila' - a sweet little tea nook. Until fairer temps,then it will have to go back to the garden. Why didn't I think of this during all these cold weather months? : )

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tibbrix

LOVE the chair!

Bookmark   March 17, 2014 at 2:15PM
bestyears

Love it! And I think I just bought the same candle you have on the windowsill (in grapefruit and blackberry) as a gift for a friend, and am trying to talk myself out of going back to indulge in one for myself!

Bookmark   March 17, 2014 at 2:21PM
anele_gw

I love the whole thing! Lovely!

Bookmark   March 17, 2014 at 2:38PM
hostanista

When it's time to put the table back outside, how about attaching a small decorative corner shelf in there, just large enough for your cup of tea and a plate of cookies, of course. It wouldn't use up any valuable floor space.

Bookmark   March 17, 2014 at 2:54PM
joaniepoanie

A shelf and a counter height stool so you can see out the window better....it does look very sweet and cozy!

Bookmark   March 17, 2014 at 3:25PM
beachpea3

Love your sweet little nook...and that great chair! Have a cuppa for all of us while you watch those birds!

Bookmark   March 17, 2014 at 3:32PM
schoolhouse_gw

bestyears, not a candle - two pots of tulip bulbs I forced over the winter. One is doing well, the other a bit slower.

Alas, no corner for a shelf. My original idea for a long time was to find a very small upholstered arm chair to wedge in there but putting it out of the way when not in use and having access to the tall cabinet would be a problem. Second idea: to attach a half circle table top to the wall under the window and fold down when not in use. But too permanent. A shelf could work there but also not keen about having something permanently attached to the wall. Good suggestion though but not for my space. Thanks!

Besides, I'm thinking I probably would not tend to sit there except during winter. And the garden table can be kept indoors this way, I just never got around to putting it in storage with the others.
joaniepoanie, thanks and I'm tall - I can see out the window just fine. lol

Bookmark   March 17, 2014 at 3:47PM
schoolhouse_gw

Thank you anele, tibbrix, and beachpea.

This post was edited by schoolhouse on Mon, Mar 17, 14 at 15:51

Bookmark   March 17, 2014 at 3:50PM
stolenidentity

Peaceful Perfection schoolhouse!!

Bookmark   March 17, 2014 at 8:40PM
patty_cakes

Such a sweet little space! I like the idea of attaching a corner shelf and using it all year long.

Bookmark   March 17, 2014 at 8:51PM
Patricia43

Good for you that you have this nice little space to call your own and dream a little dream or two.

Bookmark   March 17, 2014 at 9:04PM
Holly- Kay

I love it! It makes me want to rush home to enjoy a cup of tea and look for a similar spot for my own tea nook. Thanks for sharing it brought a smile to my face on a blustery day.

Bookmark   March 18, 2014 at 4:01PM
dedtired

It's absolutely charming. I can see myself sitting there!

Bookmark   March 18, 2014 at 5:04PM
schoolhouse_gw

Thanks. It seems as if it's always been there.

When not needed, I can move the chair to its original place which is on the opposite side of the table, against the side of the green cupboard. Otherwise, it's a little too cozy for comfort and blocks the path to the tall narrow cupboard.

Bookmark   March 18, 2014 at 5:32PM
loribee

Very sweet, enjoy!!

Bookmark   March 18, 2014 at 5:42PM
debrak2008

Really nice!

Bookmark   March 18, 2014 at 7:25PM
cyn427

Schoolhouse, so nice to see you post over here. Love your nook-bet you are thoroughly enjoying the view into your wonderful yard! I adore the painted chair and green cabinet...and the curtains...oh and the tulip (my forced ones haven't opened yet-can't wait,). :)

If you folks haven't seen her garden, you really should look on the Cottage Garden forum. It is a treat.

Bookmark   March 18, 2014 at 8:43PM
Mmmbeeer

I agree, it's very charming! In our first home we had a drop leaf table in a small inset of our kitchen in front of a window where we ate many of our meals or enjoyed a coffee while keeping an eye on the goings on in our neighborhood. It was intimate, cozy and even though it was large enough for a table and two chairs comfortably, people would ask us, "Do you REALLY sit there?" As if it was all done for show. Those small but peaceful spaces, I think, are enviable for a lot of people. Yours looks like a great spot to enjoy a cup of tea and a "time-out".

Bookmark   March 18, 2014 at 8:56PM
cooperbailey

Love it! And the fun you can have digging in your vintage linen stash for different table cloths to use! and if no stash( I can't be the only one lol) then hunting for vintage linens would be fun!

Bookmark   March 19, 2014 at 9:54AM
crl_

So sweet.

Bookmark   March 19, 2014 at 11:05AM
schoolhouse_gw

Oh, I have a stash alright. Vintage linens have always been a weakness of mine. And they get used, I've ruined many. :( but that's what they are for right? Thanks.

Bookmark   March 19, 2014 at 11:09AM
writersblock

What a charming use of that space!

Bookmark   March 19, 2014 at 11:41AM
teacats

Very charming! :) A great idea -- especially for the cold months ....

Bookmark   March 19, 2014 at 12:33PM
mjlb

That is charming! Now all you need is a tray or soft cushion on the washer and a curled up cat!

Bookmark   March 19, 2014 at 4:03PM
springroz

I love it! Made me go looking for a tea spot....my laundry room spot has gone to the dogs!!

Nancy

Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 8:43AM
More Discussions
Help me find a powder room paint color
My painter is here fixing another problem (sheetrock,...
tfitz1006
Any idea what this style house is called?
Hello folks! I saw this house and am very interested...
jplanger
Annie D. & others -- Should I say goodbye to my crystal chandelier?
I'm redecorating my dining room and am doing British...
valpogal47
If I have two large rugs in a room how different should they be?
In the living room, I already have one 9 x 13 rug and...
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
Does your decor match your wardrobe?
In different places I see suggestions to start with...
laughablemoments
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™