Condensing or noncondensing?

jasperdogJanuary 31, 2013

We are planning to use tankless hot water in our new construction. Our water heater will be near an outside wall so the vent run will be fairly short. Is it worth the extra efficiency to get the condensing heater? What are the pros and cons for our situation?

My second question is sizing the unit. Our house will have 4 bedrooms and 3.5 bathrooms. While there are only two of us there most of the time, I want to be able to take a shower and do the laundry or run the dishwasher at the same time, and I want to be sure two people can shower at the same time when we have company. We live in a cold climate. I've played with some of the online calculators, but they seem unrealistic. I have showered at my brother's with his undersized unit and I definitely want to make sure we don't undersize.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ronaka

Simplest was to not undersize is to use a tank. Especially if you live in a cold climate, there is little to no loss from a tank most of the months of a year. Escaped heat just warms your house.

If you go with a fan powered vent model, check on the noise levels. It can be substantial.

Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 11:50PM
More Discussions
Warm water mornings on cold line for 30 secs....
We have been living in a home built in 2011 (in Canada)...
nikolaos2012
Freezeless Hydrant Frozen??
Hi, I have freezeless hydrant that has never given...
den75
shower problem....can someone give me a clue?
My hot water plumbing JUST started acting "wonky."...
bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
toilet flapper closes too fast
a 5 y.o. AS 4396 w/Fluidmaster guts. The flapper is...
fritzgarden
New under mount sink - drain off-center?
I had a new granite countertop installed with an under...
mike_lee2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™