Drying Time-Pipe Joint Compound

harley_2010January 31, 2010

Is there any 'Trick' to speed up the drying process on the Oatey Pipe Joint Compound/White,for the Tub-Shower.

Propane Torch, Blow Dryer?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazypup

It is not supposed to dry. Pipe joint compound is only to be used on threaded joints, and if you still have a leak after applying the joint compound you simply did not tighten the joint enough.

Bookmark   January 31, 2010 at 8:53AM
harley_2010

I tightened it all the way up but there is still just a very small occasional drop of water. Can I put putty or something to seal tight before I close the wall once and for all?

Bookmark   February 1, 2010 at 12:48PM
lazypup

If an NPT joint is leaking it can only result from one of two problems, either the joint is not tight enough or it is cross threaded. There is nothing that can be applied to the outside of the joint to seal it.

Either tighten the joint more or take it apart and re-cut the threads, then re-assemble the joint.

Bookmark   February 1, 2010 at 1:14PM
baymee

Did you wrap with teflon tape; three wraps and then coat with a teflon pipe dope?

Tightening a pipe is a learned art. Using two pipe wrenches, I'd say pull as hard as you can muscle up with a 10" wrench.

Bookmark   February 1, 2010 at 8:50PM
lazypup

You may use either PTFE tape or pipe dope, but they are never supposed to be used in combination.

Bookmark   February 1, 2010 at 9:38PM
kudzu9

If you can't tighten it enough to stop the drip, do what you don't want to do: take it apart and do it over. Otherwise, it will get worse over time, no matter how much goo you put on the outside.

Bookmark   February 2, 2010 at 2:54AM
baymee

While I don't want to incur the wrath of lazypup, the use of both tape and dope is widespread in the black pipe heating industry.

I had a tiny drip leak last week between a new copper male adaptor and a brass valve, something uncommon when compared to steel pipe.

I tightened it 3 times over 3 days and finally ended up taking the thing apart and doing it all over again yesterday. Hoping for the best today.

Bookmark   February 2, 2010 at 6:16AM
joed

Use two pipe wrenches to tighten it. If you are not using a pipe wreench you are not getting it tight enough. Vice grips and channel locs are just not good enough for this job.
You can always tighten it more. The treads are tapered.

Bookmark   February 2, 2010 at 8:44AM
dickross

The key here is the phrase "tightened it all the way up". There is no "all the way up". Tighten it another 3-4 rounds and it will be fine.
A lot of pipe dope contains chopped teflon, along with a lubricant and some finer solids. When tapered threads were common in the oilfield, we used to use teflon tape and grease, and tighten till the joint got warm. It would hold 10,000 psi all day.

Bookmark   February 6, 2010 at 10:33PM
harley_2010

Thanks to everyone I finally started over and used thick dope and I have no leaks. Now I have a new problem, I tiled the wall and now the new American Standard fittings need to go further into the wall. There is no adaptor or anything for them? I probably just have to cut the wall wider around the fixtures.

Bookmark   February 10, 2010 at 1:14PM
More Discussions
toilet flapper closes too fast
a 5 y.o. AS 4396 w/Fluidmaster guts. The flapper is...
fritzgarden
the dreaded frozen pipes...
Hello all, I hope someone out there can help me. I...
kineala
Help with smelly well water
Just a little background. We bought a house 3 years...
cmonkey
Water pressue and other plumbing issues (MULTIPLE ISSUES - LONG)
I have a couple plumbing issues in my house. Some background... Approximately...
gtrshop
Toilet swirls, but won't flush!!
Very frustrated. The toilet seems to be ok, it gets...
edweather
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™