fostered kittens

swallowtail_growerMay 29, 2010

Hello, I foster kittens for the animal shelter here where I live and I have 5 right now very small I believe they were left on a freeway, needless to say I think they have had a very hard time just surviving. I feed them Purina kitten chow and I moisten it a bit probably about month and 1/2 old. I`m on a pension and ssi and on a tight budget. Is there anything else I can give them to build and add a bit of weight, it seems when I give them a can of moist cat food they get diarrhea and thats just to try to give them a treat.Otherwise they play and seem to be healhy.Any help would be appreciated. Thank You

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
olyagrove

Try goats milk. You can find it in most grocery stores, in cans - condensed

I also make chicken bouillon from cheap chicken backs or thighs and then defone the meat and mix it in - makes a nice nutritious soup kittens like

Bookmark   May 30, 2010 at 5:31PM
cindyandmocha

Try "esibilac". You can find it at pet stores. It is on a similar vein to similac for babies. Warm it in the microwave a bit, and then add it to crushed up kitten chow (crush the kitten chose with a rolling pin in a baggy).

We use to do this at the shelter for litters who's mother would refuse to nurse.

Bookmark   May 31, 2010 at 2:50AM
annzgw

Does the shelter cover any costs? I suggest taking a fecal sample to a vet and having them check for worms. That may be why the kittens are not gaining weight.

To feed them canned food try adding a small amount into their wet/dry food. That way their system can adjust to it slowly. You may also want to try a different brand or type of canned food. Certain brands upset my pet's tummy where others don't.

Bookmark   May 31, 2010 at 11:26AM
sylviatexas1

You might add a little cooked rice with chicken, too.

Bookmark   May 31, 2010 at 5:12PM
More Discussions
Constipated Kitty (Warning - LONG)
Hi All - I haven't been on the forum in quite awhile,...
manda3183
Can I help a wild rabbit in my yard?
I live in Western NY state and I was shocked to see...
rochesterroseman
Does anyone have a spayed dog that has a brownish discharge?
I came to this Forum to ask your opinions about something...
pickyshopper
special food for cat's renal failure?
My 15 yr old male cat Jagra has now got kidney problems...
MrsLizzyNorCal Suns17-USDA9b
Dog still has fleas after using Frontline Plus..
Two weeks ago, I gave my dog a bath and then applied...
dianamo_1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™