How to replace a shower faucet/trim

sousvide23January 6, 2011

Hi all, I want to replace our shower faucet - the handle/knob that controls the water. I currently have a single handle that controls the temperature. All the way right is off, as I turn it left, it turns it on and increases the hot water.

From what I've read, I need to find a trim that matches the existing valve...because I can't get access to replace the valve without significant damage and repair to the shower. We moved in not too long ago and the house is 8 years old. I have NO clue what the model or brand the fixtures are - there are no identifying names. There is a rather cryptic logo though that I've never seen.

Is there anyway I can ID the valve? Do I need to if I just want to change/update/replace the handle?


Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Take a picture and post it, pictures are worth a thousand words. You may also find the brand on the sink fixtures most of the time they are all the same brand.

    Bookmark   January 6, 2011 at 8:29AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Our 4 yr old Delta (model# 132900 ) works as you describe. It is stamped "Delta" on the trim plate and the handle, and the trim plate screw holes are at 1:00 and 7:00 (actually closer to 2:00 and 8:00, but not quite.)

Anyway, I would suggest taking both the trim plate and the handle off and take them with you to a big box store to match them up. The key is matching the holes on the trim plate, as well as the turning "stops" on the backside of the handle (so take the handle out of the package and look at the back of it closely).

If they don't match, try a real plumbing supply, since the trim plate holes and stops can be different even for the same brands. This is how it is with Moen. Sometimes I buy a trim kit from a plumbing supply, other times the big box version, and sometimes I even have to parts from each place to freshen up a bathroom. (If I want a shiny new Moen tub spout, it's almost the same cost at my local plumbing supply to buy the entire trim kit vs. the spout by itself.)

Good luck.

    Bookmark   January 6, 2011 at 9:16AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Ok...the faucets in the sinks, tubs showers are all the same through out the house - no branding on them but I'll take the shower trim apart in the basement bathroom which we never use anyway and post a pic.

Are there such things a universal or valve adapters to have one valve work with another brands trim, for example, Delta to Moen? Pardon my ignorance in the area. I didn't realize these things were so proprietary. :)

    Bookmark   January 6, 2011 at 2:16PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Sorry to say valves are not usable with other brands. What you can do is once you identify the brand you may be able to get what they call trim kits for that valve. You may be able to get different finishes and styles from the manufacturer that will fit on that valve.

    Bookmark   January 6, 2011 at 7:05PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I am in the same spot with old Moen fixtures (finally figured out they were Moen). If by any chance your old ones are Moen....u can reference the link below. They now have a retrofit kit so various trim kits will work with the valves. Various Moen kits that is.

Here is a link that might be useful: Moen Valve & Trim Kits

    Bookmark   February 2, 2012 at 1:00AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I just had the same issue but when I inspected the valve, after taking off the plate and handles, I saw that the valve was stamped PF. Aha! Price Pfister. Sometimes it's just a little detective work needed. And, dont be surprised if the Big Box store associate is of no help to you. Go directly to a real plumbing supply shop.

    Bookmark   February 4, 2012 at 1:50PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

sousvide23 i'm having the same problem and now there is talk about getting to the valve through a wall. I did learn from the posts that a kit may be available to me. Is anyone familiar with this type of valve? The other shower fixture in my house is Delta.

    Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 7:30PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Here is another picture that may help

    Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 7:33PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Do Electric water heaters from plumbing supply differ from home depot
Plumbers I feel rip people off when installing electric...
Help, water filter?
I recently bought a rural home, and have yet to move...
Water Softener - calling justalurker
Hopefully you are still around. I had reached out a...
Kitchen sink faucet lost its water pressure
I did some preventative maintenance this evening by...
Doable...European sink & US bathroom pop-up drain and faucet?
if I purchase a small Belfast sink fron England to...
Sponsored Products
Dyconn Faucet Stainless Steel Thermostatic Rainfall 48-jet with LED Temperature
Series 943 Large White Raindrop Ceiling Light
$67.50 | Bellacor
Sterling Advantage 62020100 36W x 72H in. Swirl Gloss Shower Module - 62020100-0
$761.35 | Hayneedle
Chrome 12 Round Rainshower Shower Head & Rectangular Wall Mounted Arm
Hudson Reed
Tangier Shower Curtain Hook - Set of 12
$19.99 | zulily
Teak Shower Caddy with Removable Soap Dish
Signature Hardware
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™