Gasp. I can't take it anymore.

centralcacyclistMay 14, 2010

My very large girl Lab is almost 10 now. She has started being very gassy. I have her on food for mature dogs. I will happily buy anything that won't make her gassy. I work at home and she likes to be within 5 feet of me at all times. It's awful! Even with a scented candle burning and the windows open.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weed30

Try a grain free diet. I had a dog with simply unimaginable gas, and when I switched her to a grain free diet, the gas went away. (THANK GOD!!)

Bookmark   May 14, 2010 at 7:44PM
mazer415

Go get a bottle of BEANO....

Bookmark   May 14, 2010 at 8:16PM
centralcacyclist

Mazer, are you serious?

Weed, any particular brand? I used to feed a white fish and sweet potato dog food to her. Mother Hubbard maybe? Would that work?

Bookmark   May 14, 2010 at 8:48PM
weed30

I started feeding a raw diet to both of my dogs. I started it because one had allergies - not to food, but to stuff outside. She was on steroids 9 months of the year. Feeding raw eliminated her allergies within a month, and the bonus was that my other dog's gas went away :)

There are commercial dog foods that are grain free or nearly so. Here is one list that I found. They are definitely more expensive than standard dog food, but if it's in your budget, I'd give it a try.

Bookmark   May 14, 2010 at 10:09PM
cynthia_gw

Why not switch her back to her original food if she was doing well on that? 'Senior' diets are basically a marketing ploy. Humans don't eat 'senior' food, why should dogs? As dog get older they may need less food if they are getting less exercise, so feed a little less of their preferred (high quality) food. The senior diets do typically have glucosamine/chondroitin, but probably not enough and you should give that separately anyway. Other than that, the only difference is that so-called senior foods are lower calorie and probably lower quality too.

Bookmark   May 15, 2010 at 7:16AM
Ninapearl

with 2 great danes, i have a total of 296# of dog. i thought about buying a gas mask for the occasional times they both *fluff* at the same time. ;)

i just pop a couple of gas-x pills down them and viola!, no more stink. :D

Bookmark   May 15, 2010 at 8:10AM
deb18

I've been giving my dogs a scoop of fat-free, plain yogurt every morning for a couple of years now and it really seems to cut down on the gas. I also feed grain-free foods and that helps, too.

Bookmark   May 15, 2010 at 8:40AM
harebelle

I know cats far better than dogs, but when our aged dog still walked this earth (or jetted over it on flatulent days) I fed him plain meats and commercial tinned food only. The comemrcial dry foods, including the grain-free varieties, were too high in carbs which seemed the culprit in his gusty days as he rarely pooted on all wet food. He was almost 100 pounds of adorable, stupid, gaseous, barking, clownish love, so the wet diet wasn't cheap. Supplementing all the tinned food with meats helped reduce expense greatly.

Once the vet determines that nothing is physiologically wrong, maybe a change in diet may help right him again.

And I give the cats plain, Greek-style yoghurt a few times each week. Not any of the market brands, they're full of unhelpful junk that can impede the purpose, but pure milk and cultures (and nothing else) yoghurt keeps their tummies in good order. Or you can buy cultures to add to your pooty pup's food.

Bookmark   May 15, 2010 at 10:39AM
centralcacyclist

I'll try plain yogurt and see if that works. I'll report back. This is a new problem not associated with food changes as far as I can tell. She is just getting older, I suspect. She is 115 pounds of love and methane.

If the yogurt fails, I'll try grain-free food. This food has brown rice and other grains but no corn, which I never feed.

Bookmark   May 15, 2010 at 1:09PM
mazer415

Yup Im serious. Beano - a couple of drops on the food just like the bottle says....Gas X works too.....it is time for a little more fresh air in your life!!

Bookmark   May 15, 2010 at 3:52PM
centralcacyclist

I have a bottle of tablet Beano. I'll try giving her a half a tablet.

Bookmark   May 15, 2010 at 5:04PM
pamghatten

LOL! I'll have to tell my BIL ... his dog STINKS!

Bookmark   May 15, 2010 at 6:01PM
centralcacyclist

I'm not sure about the Beano. Her gas seems to have subsided some but she had a loose BM accident in the night. I'm not sure if it's related or not.

Bookmark   May 16, 2010 at 10:15PM
zone5agreenthumb

de-worm her, roundworms are a huge issue with lower GI issues.

Bookmark   May 23, 2010 at 1:24AM
centralcacyclist

I've never seen a worm. Frankly, I'm nervous about doing anything more than getting her settled. After the poo accident she began throwing up. I've fed her brown rice and baby food chicken or turkey in small amounts for a few days now and am adding a new dog food (AvoDerm Mature) back in. She seems to be much better. Appetite back, no vomiting. No gas. Perky and ready for a romp again.

But I will watch for worm signs just in case.

Bookmark   May 23, 2010 at 12:33PM
doberman_2007

A warning do not smoke.....

Bookmark   May 26, 2010 at 7:14AM
More Discussions
Lactaid all right for my cat?
Like a lot of cats, my kitty is lactose intolerant....
sandyslopes z5 northern UT
Housetrained dog having accidents in the house!
My dog is about 2 and 1/2 years old and is housetrained...
bookworm_2007
Renal Failure In Dogs -
Hi, I took my rescued Cocker Spaniel to the vet last...
lucymarie
Elsa/cystitis/vinegar
Last night I was frantically searching through messages...
ElsasMom
Does anyone have a spayed dog that has a brownish discharge?
I came to this Forum to ask your opinions about something...
pickyshopper
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™