My little cat died

lily316May 21, 2011

I am grieving today and am in total shock. If you would have told me a week ago that I would be burying one of my cats in a few days, I would not have known which one. Thirteen years ago, this 3 week old tortie kitten was rescued by a local group when she was on the city streets with out a mother. I adopted her at 6 weeks. She had upper respiratory problem the first week, and I took her to the vets and after taking her meds she was fine the rest of her life. Wednesday she was on my kitchen counter beside another of my cats waiting for her wet food. The other three cats eat on the floor. She ate it and then finished off Phoebe's. She leaped across to the island and ate some dry food. Dry food(Pro Plan or Purina One & Beyond) is available all the time. Lily was always her entire life only 6 pounds. She acted like a kitten...always racing around the house. Thursday she wasn't there for the wet food feeding. She was in the sunroom but ate when I opened a can of people tuna. I watched her that day and she was laying around. That night she sat on my husband's lap and he came out to my room and said she didn't seem better. We decided to take her to the vets yesterday but when we got up, she had died in the night. I have not a clue what happened. Wed. she was racing upstairs and around the house...Friday she is dead. Maybe one of you or Meghan could give me a plausible answer. No diarrhea , no throwing up, same weight, same energy...I'm very sad and baffled.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I cant give you a reason but be comforted that she died where she was happy, no scarey car rides or vets offices. The best way to go is at home asleep in your bed. So sorry for your loss.

    Bookmark   May 21, 2011 at 8:05PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

awww, lily, i'm so sorry for your loss. it sounds like she lived a wonderful, long life with you. (((hugs))) to you.

    Bookmark   May 21, 2011 at 8:23PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

So, so, so sorry. I know what this does to your heart.

Thinking of you and your little girl.

    Bookmark   May 21, 2011 at 9:12PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I'm so sorry for your loss. I know what you are feeling. They are like our children and to have this happen out of the blue is so unreal. Mine are off their food from time to time, but they are always okay in a day or two. I can't imagine what might have happened to her.

    Bookmark   May 21, 2011 at 10:40PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thank you...I went out to eat for a break from the sadness. I meant to say in my post that Lily never ever in her life was outside. I also wanted to mention that last Sunday I gave her a dose of Frontline. (you might remember the "my cat tried to kill me" post). I have been giving my cats and dogs Frontline for years and no one ever had a reaction. I do question that with dogs it's by weight, but not with cats. . My dogs are 21 pounds so that's the dose they get. With cats I think it's one dose for all. Henry is 21 pounds and Lily was 6. Doesn't seem right but there was never a problem before and maybe there is no correlation.

    Bookmark   May 21, 2011 at 11:17PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I am so sorry for your loss. (((HUGS)))

    Bookmark   May 21, 2011 at 11:55PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Oh Lily, I am so sorry. I know exactly what you are going through. This past winter the ferile cat, Monica, who I've been feeding for 20 years went away to die and I think of her everyday. In the middle of this horrible winter I tried to trap her once again; I even tried to throw a blanket over her to try and grab her, but as old as she was she was still too fast for me. Which breaks my heart because the last time I fed her she looked up at me with her little old graying face and I said to her, 'Monica, wouldn't you like to be in a nice warm house instead of in this horrible cold'. Everytime I look at the barn I think of her (I had a doggie door for her to go in and out at will and a ceramic heater which kept the room she was in about 50 degrees)sunning herself in front of it and it breaks my heart. Not knowing what happened to her and how she died is what makes me so sad. So I can truly emphasize with you.
The way your cat died, sad to say, will remain a mystery. Because, even if you had an autopsy done and it was the Frontline, no vet is going to tell you that because they won't want to get involved in a legal action. Personally, I don't think it was the Frontline because you gave it to her almost a week ago. If she was going to have a reaction you would have seen it earlier in the week. I don't give my indoor cat Frontline because he never goes out. Only my dogs get it. Maybe you should reconsider giving it to your other cats just to be on the safe side.

Anyway, I'm really sorry for your loss. You know, just like people some animals have long lives and some have shorter ones. It simply might be that her time was now and neither you or anyone else could have changed that.

    Bookmark   May 22, 2011 at 4:59AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I'm so very sorry to read about your cat. lovetogarden was right, without a necropsy you really would have no definitive answer. Whatever it was, it was coming on too fast for you to help her. I don't think I'd even think to take my cat to the vet if she was 'down' a little just for one day with no apparent signs of illness. With such an unexpected shock, it's so hard not to have an answer. Try focusing on the fact that she had a second chance when she was scooped up as a baby and what a wonderful life you were able to give her.

    Bookmark   May 22, 2011 at 10:57AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I am so sorry about your kitty.

Hugs being sent your way (( ))

    Bookmark   May 22, 2011 at 4:54PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I'm also terribly sorry for the loss of your Lily. She wasn't an 'old' cat, but she wasn't what you'd call young, either. Animals are subject to many of the same conditions humans, or any other mammals are. They can have heart attacks and strokes, internal hemorrhages from undiscovered growths or apparently fine one day and gone the next. It certainly sounds like you didn't have red flags and nothing you did or did not do played into her demise. Please don't let thoughts of guilt enter your mind.

It sounds to me as if she had a very happy and healthy life and was gone quickly without suffering, and much loved. Many animals are not so fortunate. Alls you can do is the best you can do, and I think you did just that. I'm sorry.

    Bookmark   May 22, 2011 at 6:05PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Adopted a new dog :)
Last month I had to put down my sweet Charlee. She...
Linda's Garden z6 Utah
dry food for cats that can't eat dry food ;)
Howdy all, There seems to be a lot of experience here...
integrating a cat and a dog
i have a male neutered cat. he's been here for many...
UBAVET Joint Plus Glucosamine HCL
Does anyone have their dog or cat on UBAVET Joint Plus...
cat needs ultrasound/has fluid
13 yr old indoor cat has had blood tests, xrays and...
Sponsored Products
Masiero Lighting | Flashwood Floor Lamp
You Are My Sunshine Throw Pillow
Julien Leather Bar Stool
Grandin Road
Filament Design Work Lighting Nexis 1 Light Die Cast Aluminum LED Universal
Home Depot
Raine Leather Ottoman - Brighton Soul White White
Joybird Furniture
Sweater Rug 5' x 8' - LEMON
$849.00 | Horchow
Robert Abbey Drexel 25" Wide Polished Nickel ADA Wall Sconce
Lamps Plus
Two LIght Outdoor Wall / Ceiling Lantern
$96.30 | PLFixtures
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™