Newspaper Rock

kentuck_8bDecember 15, 2007

Taken at the Petrified Forest in Northern Arizona.

People who farmed the Puerco River Valley 650 to 2000 years ago, pecked these petroglyphs onto the rocks, leaving a legacy etched in stone...

Kt

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Konrad___far_north

Nice take of this rockl, KT!
Have you edged in your initial?
Konrad

Bookmark   December 16, 2007 at 12:46AM
minrose

how neat, never seen anything like it.

Bookmark   December 16, 2007 at 7:29AM
kentuck_8b

Thank You both! Utah also has a 'Newspaper Rock' but I haven't been to that one yet.

No, no initials:) They do not let people close to the rock above, probably for that reason. Anyway, the rock was below the viewing site and about 40 yards from where I took the photo, so I had to zoom-in to get the photo.

Kt

Bookmark   December 16, 2007 at 11:46AM
ronf_gw

There is something similar in New Mexico. This is at a very remote location. It's not protected at all. In fact I'm guessing only a handful of people even know that it exists. I just stumbled across it out hiking years ago.

Ron

Bookmark   December 16, 2007 at 1:13PM
kentuck_8b

Excellent, Ron! Would that happen to be in the Gila Wilderness Area, by any chance? I took some photos of some when we were there a few years ago, some were off the beaten path.

Have you ever been to Three Rivers Petroglyph Site? There are over 20,000 documented petroglyphs there, they cover the entire hill and surrounding area. I took hundreds of photos.

It is the largest collection site of petroglyphs in the entire world. They have a fenced in area, but you can go outside of that area, but not everyone knows that, but that is where you find the most pristene glyphs.

Kt

Bookmark   December 16, 2007 at 2:22PM
ronf_gw

Hi kt,
I lived in Silver City, the gateway to the Gila, for 16 years. No, these petroglyphs are'nt in the Gila but, they're near there. Where is Three Rivers? There are also lots of petroglyphs near the Cooke's Range in SW New Mexico.
Ron

Bookmark   December 16, 2007 at 3:49PM
kentuck_8b

Three Rivers is between Corrizozo in the north, and White Sands, to the south, on HWY 54.

We travel south on I-25 out of Albuquerque. Turn east(left) at San Antonio(Home of the first Hilton hotel). At Corrizozo, turn right, and go south. It is just a small stop in the road. There is a small gift shop off HWY 54, but you turn right past that and drive another 2 miles.

Plan on spending some time there as it will take hours, and even days if you want to see most of it. Like I mentioned, go outside the fenced area for some of the best and undisturbed glyphs.

There are also many in Chaco Canyon, along with the ruins of the Anasazi. Also, at El Morro(and the Ice Cave), south of Grants, there are more ruins with glyphs there along with early Spanish carvings in the rock face, some as early as the 1500's.

Kt

Bookmark   December 16, 2007 at 5:23PM
ronf_gw

I've never explored over in that area, kt. Thanks for the info.
Ron

Bookmark   December 16, 2007 at 5:32PM
octoberblue

That is so cool that you can go out hiking and just stumble across something like that without any fences or anything! It's hard to find areas like that anymore! Great pictures!

Bookmark   December 16, 2007 at 7:03PM
gmom74

We've been there- a long time ago. We have pictures - not digital- of that area. We really enjoyed it. Thanks for the memory!

Bookmark   December 16, 2007 at 7:47PM
More Discussions
Some of my garden photography
Hi!!!! I didn't know there was a photography forum...
Desirai
Miscanthus sinensis on display
I like this photo because it nicely displays my ornamental...
joyfulflowers
Digital or Otherwise?
Have scads of photo equipment based around a Canon...
pink_warm_mama_1
linear polarizing filter
Hi, I have a linear polarizing filter (make unknown)...
shakushinnen
Help with old photos from a Kodak digital camera
I recently found several old floppy discs that I had...
don_na_na
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™