Help please! kittens won't eat.

kyliesgrannyMay 10, 2012

I've been adopted by a stray cat. 3 weeks after I let her into my home she had 2 little kittens. She's been the best mommy all along but she doesn't seem to be producing milk any more. She lays & still lets them nurse but they are losing weight.

I purchased 2 tiny bottles & KMR at the pet store along with canned kitten food & dry kitten food. They want nothing to do with any of those things.

I've tried squirting small amounts of the milk on their tongues, rubbing the wet food on their teeth & leaving food, milk & food with milk in small saucers for them. Nothing is working.

They were 5 weeks old yesterday & I thought they would at least try the food at that age. I've never had such young kittens before & am at a lose as to what else to try.

I could use some suggestions please.

Thanks,

Dawn

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annzgw

I suggest you take them, including mom, in for a vet visit. The kittens may be developing an upper respiratory infection and you want to catch it ASAP.

At 5 weeks they should be showing interest in other food. Is mom eating canned food? I would make a gruel of milk and canned food and feed it to both the mom and the kittens. I always liked to use a wide, shallow bowl....such as a flower pot saucer so everyone can eat at the same time. As the mom eats, the kittens should show an interest in the food.

Here is a link that might be useful: weaning kittens

Bookmark   May 10, 2012 at 7:22PM
kyliesgranny

Thanks for the advice & the link Annz. Mom eats both canned & dry. I leave the dry out for her all the time & give her canned in the evening when I have dinner.

The kittens watch her eat but have never tried to join her. I'll certainly try your suggestion of using a wider saucer for the food.

Bookmark   May 10, 2012 at 8:30PM
annzgw

When I said 'milk' I meant the KMR milk.....but I assumed you knew that! : )

Bookmark   May 10, 2012 at 9:39PM
dees_1

Having rehabilitated a very small 5/6 week old kitten from near death, I would suggest using an eye dropper. Take the kitten in a towel and prop it like a baby. Give them 20 ml of KMR at a time and feed them a couple times a day. Once they get their little tummies full, they may remember being hungry and will start eating other stuff.

My little guy was one pound at 5/6 weeks old and I think he forgot what hungry felt like. After 2 days of eye dropper feeding, he started eating on his own.

Best of luck!!!

Bookmark   May 11, 2012 at 4:05PM
harebelle

How are the kittens? What did the vet say?

Bookmark   May 20, 2012 at 10:04AM
megamuffins

Yes, take them into the vet. It sounds serious.

Bookmark   May 20, 2012 at 11:50PM
More Discussions
Finally, no more poop eating.
After trying every product under the sun with no help...
roobear
Need recommendation for an easy grip leash
I've seen several when google searching the subject,...
arkansas_girl
Adopted a new dog :)
Last month I had to put down my sweet Charlee. She...
Linda's Garden z6 Utah
please help with a question about euthanizing a dog
my dog was put to sleep yesterday and i am upset with...
robin7500
integrating a cat and a dog
i have a male neutered cat. he's been here for many...
randy41_1
Sponsored Products
ORE International Lamps 14.25 in. Brushed Gold Pure Kitten Touch Lamp
$58.98 | Home Depot
Handmade Alliyah Cherry Tomato Wool Rug (5'x 8')
Overstock.com
ZUO Pillows 21 in. Square Kitten Outdoor Throw Pillow Chocolate base and
$75.00 | Home Depot
Handmade Safavieh Wildlife Napping Kitten Wool Rug (2' x 3')
Overstock.com
Kitten Quilted Cotton Oven Mitt
Overstock.com
Bath Towel - KITTEN GRAY (BATH TOWEL)
$12.90 | Horchow
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™