Flea treatment for an old dog

mellowd_txMay 16, 2014

I have a 12 year old Shih Tzu and despite my best efforts she suffered last year with fleas. Before they get really bad this year here in Texas. I would like to know what other people use for dogs less than 10 pounds. I have recently started giving her Benadryl daily for her allergies. Please help her, she is just so miserable it breaks my heart.

Thank you!
MellowD

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
socks

Yes, you definitely have to keep the dear little pup comfortable. I assume she is outside enough to collect fleas.

I've been struggling with this issue as well because the chemicals in these products are scary, and it troubles me to give them to my dog. I recently found a list of flea products prepared by the Natural Resources Defense Council (a respected non-profit environmental organization). Not every product is listed there, but they are rated by "paws", one paw being safest product to use, three paws being the least safe. They recommend people try to use a one-paw product, and people with kids should use a pill rather than a topical application.

I decided on Comfortis for my dog (a 15-lb. terrier), but I'm waiting to see a flea on him before giving the pill. I'm not saying this is appropriate for your dog. It would be wise to check with your vet, especially since you are giving Benedryl too.

The link just below gives ideas for ways to combat fleas without the flea medications.

http://www.nrdc.org/living/pets/control-fleas-without-chemicals.asp

Here is a link that might be useful: Flea product directory

Bookmark   May 16, 2014 at 8:00PM
laurief_gw

Definitely check with your vet. Your vet will know which specific products are currently effective on your local flea population. Fleas in some areas of the country may develop immunity to certain flea preventives, so it's important to know which preventives are and are not effective in your particular location.

Laurie

Bookmark   May 16, 2014 at 10:09PM
ksulli84

I agree with laurief, take your dog to the vet so they can recommend the best treatment for your dog.

Bookmark   May 20, 2014 at 4:04PM
mazer415

You can do a number of things, I forget if it is Frontline or Advantage that comes with a cap, I use ONE DROP a month on my 90# bull mastiff husky mix, he was highly allergic to fleas and one drop a month was all it took to keep them off. This saved me lots of money (which I ended up spending on his legs and toes) and kept him comfortable.
You can also go get some Diatomaceous Earth, don't get the kind for swimming pools, they have extra chemicals in them not good for anything but your pool. get the DE from a garden supply store, you can spread it in your yard where your dog frequents just don't inhale too much and don't apply on a windy day, you must reapply after it rains, but it isn't too expensive. You might even find a bag on line, Good Luck

Bookmark   May 21, 2014 at 12:49AM
More Discussions
Hyperthroid Cat Ear Gel - Handling Precautions?
Anybody used this? Did you follow the handling instructions...
lifeflower123
Help me please!
Hello everyone I need some advice! I've had my beautiful...
azuresnow
automatic Litter boxes.......
I'm trying to connect with other users of the Cat Genie,,,,,so...
dfdureiko
Elsa/cystitis/vinegar
Last night I was frantically searching through messages...
ElsasMom
Does anyone have a spayed dog that has a brownish discharge?
I came to this Forum to ask your opinions about something...
pickyshopper
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™