Frigidaire Wall Ovens

happsMarch 7, 2013

I spent a couple hours researching 30" Electric Non-Convection Single Wall ovens and found that Frigidaire units have the least complaints from the public comments I read. Especially noteworthy were the praises about fast cooking times. I am looking for a no frills basic 30" electric wall oven and was wondering if anyone here owns a Frigidaire who can vouch for their reliability and fast heating times?

I plan to have this wall oven installed under a 30" Whirlpool cooktop. Is there a formula or method for determining whether or not a certain model wall oven will fit underneath a cooktop?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

They are builder grade appliances with low quality components and few features. No manufacturer will ever tell you that you can place another manufacturer's appliance in stack with them. It's up to you to do the research and take the risk.

Honestly, if you are looking for no frill cooking, look at doing a range instead. You will save hundreds of dollars and get better quality. GE ranges rate consistently high with Consumer Reports. You can get a basic one around $500 and have everything on board be better than the combo you are trying to put together.

Bookmark   March 7, 2013 at 6:56AM
eam44

Check the appliance forum.

Bookmark   March 7, 2013 at 9:16AM
live_wire_oak

I agree. Do a range instead. It's cheaper with better engineering.

Bookmark   March 7, 2013 at 9:30AM
happs

I've eliminated GE because I have one of their free standing ranges and am disappointed in it. Very slow cooker. I'll check the appliance forum.

live_wire_oak When you mean a range, do you mean a slide-in range?

Bookmark   March 7, 2013 at 1:11PM
live_wire_oak

No, I mean a regular range. They are the most reliable and cheapest cooking appliances going. You pay a lot extra for a slide in, and it's not worth it if you are on a budget. Also, if you dislike GE, you'll HATE Frigidaire. Builder's buy them for a reason, and that reason isn't that they cook well. It's that they are cheap. Perjorative intended. GE does rate rather well in most performance tests, so I'd have to ask what about your last range didn't you like?

Bookmark   March 7, 2013 at 2:14PM
happs

I didn't like that it took 20 minutes for the oven to go from zero to 425 degrees.

Bookmark   March 7, 2013 at 5:02PM
live_wire_oak

Well, that's pretty much any range these days. The temperature sensor might tell you that the air inside is 425, but the metal and the rest of the oven hasn't heated up fully. It takes about 20 minutes for that to happen no matter what brand you are talking about. You've got to have the thermal mass of the whole oven heated up to be able to avoid a massive temperature drop when placing something in it. With baking especially, you should always preheat at least 30 minutes before putting in your breads or cakes. Otherwise, even with convection, you risk off center and doughy results.

Bookmark   March 7, 2013 at 5:08PM
happs

In the 1990's, I used to have a Whirlpool wall oven that had a very fast heat-up time. It went from zero to 425 in less than 10 minutes. What has changed with ovens?

Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 12:24AM
More Discussions
Week 44: Spring, spring, SPring, SPRING dreams!
I am having spring fever. I can't wait until it's...
CEFreeman_GW
What does this tile say to you?
I am still in the planning stages of a small, U-shaped...
kelleg69
can laminated/refaced kitchen cabinets be "undone"?
We've lived in our house for 5 years and I am interested...
nettiel
Need advice on how to remodel this corner of kitchen
Hi all Just purchased a home and does not have budget...
strikeraj
what metal finish with a Chambers stove?
I'm planning a kitchen remodel. I already have my white...
mccb1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™