Canon Powershot SX20 IS?? SX1 IS? Can't decide!!

ccoombs1December 28, 2009

I have decided I want/need a better digital camera. I want a camera that will let me learn how to take photographs, as well as just snapshots. I am not ready for a DSLR but really do want a camera that takes great shots, indoors and out. Anyone here have the SX20 IS? Or should I spend a bit more and get the SX1 IS (which shoots in RAW or jpg)? I can't believe I am having such a hard time with this decision! Thanks for any advise you can offer on the canons I am considering....or any others that I should be considering!

Cindy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Konrad___far_north

IMO...best buy for your $.
You can't go wrong with either one, ...I love canon's because they are ruged build cameras, my wife has the powershot SX10, think the SX1 has HD video, I got my new 7D,.. we took some pictures, she beat me about on every picture....guess has to do allot who stands behind it.
Konrad

Bookmark   December 30, 2009 at 11:25PM
ccoombs1

Thanks for the reply! I went ahead and ordered the SX20 on monday and it arrived yesterday evening. The SX1 does have HD video and it shoots in RAW, but at this point I don't think I need to bother with RAW....at least not enough to pay an extra $150 for it. And there are hack programs for these cameras that make them shoot in RAW anyway....my daughter has one on her S3 and it works great. Anyway, I love the feel of it. It's large enough to feel very comfortable in my hands (unlike my casio which is the size of a deck of cards). The function screens are well laid out and easy to navigate. The only think I see so far I don't like about it is there is no tether on the lens cap. The pics I took inside look really good. I have not downloaded any of them yet, but hope to later on. So far though, I am impressed! I think I'll go to the zoo and botanical gardens tomorrow and play around with it.

Bookmark   December 31, 2009 at 7:50AM
Konrad___far_north

Excellent, ..you'll like it!
Agree with Raw file, for the average guy you don't need it, my wife attached a string to the cap.

Konrad

Bookmark   December 31, 2009 at 4:02PM
joan_mn

I also have the SX10 and really like it. So far, I've dropped the cap about 10 times, I think. My Sony cap was tethered, so I pull this one off and just let go. GRRRR.

Bookmark   January 2, 2010 at 12:18PM
More Discussions
Digital or Otherwise?
Have scads of photo equipment based around a Canon...
pink_warm_mama_1
DX or FX?
Hello all, I recently purchased a nikon d300. Im new...
andi2928
A question
I guess this is a somewhat different subject but it...
gmom74
Question about posting photos with Houzz
It's nice that we can post four pictures now from our...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Fire in the sky
no photoshop~
JeanInWa
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™