Photo contest - selling photo's

sydneydavisDecember 21, 2006

Hello all. Its been a while since I've been here. I have really been doing a lot of playing with the camera since I got so many tips log ago. Anyway, I have a friend who is an artist and I took a bunch of duck pictures for her because painting & drawing ducks is one of her fav subjects. I took one picture she flipped over. I thought it was pretty cool but she was way more impressed, excited or moved by it. She kept saying I needed to put it in a contest or sell it. When I asked how she said she didn't know but felt [from her artist perspective] it could do well. The thing she liked so much was the water. There is a bunch of cool movement and color in the water.

I did do some research and -of course- got info overload as to what to do and where to go.

So what suggestion or experiences do you have?

Thanks

Syd

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zitro_joe

I have never done stock photography, but if you do a search for "sell stock photography" there are a lot of sites there.

I have some photos framed and matted hanging at a local coffee bar and bookstore. I get phone calls from people every now and then asking to buy a matted and framed pricture that they had seen. I make my own frames so i make a pretty good chunk from it when I do actually sell one.

Joe

Bookmark   December 21, 2006 at 6:00PM
mrbrownthumb

There are various ways to do it. If you want to enter contests you can check out the various photography magazines on the stands and see when they're running contests. There are also a few sites around that have photo contest where the prize is something like 100.00 bucks. I think one of them is called photo a day or something like that.

Then there are various on-line stock agencies where you don't have to be a professional to upload your photos and sell them. At first the $$ they pay you per download doesn't seem like a lot-but if you have good photos and lots of them the $$ per download really adds up.

I personally use

Shutterstock

and

BigStockPhoto

And I'm happy with both of them. The images are royalty free and the $$ from both adds up, plus they're non exclusive so you can upload the same images to both places or as many on-line places as you can join.

Also see the website for your camera maker. Often times they run photo contests for their customers and give a small prize or bragging rights. Like Kodak's winners get their pic on that giant screen in Times Sq. And many different specialized mags also run contests from time to time so take an afternoon and check out the racks at Borders.

Bookmark   December 21, 2006 at 11:11PM
sydneydavis

Thanks so much. I ahve not had time to get this done yet but hope to with in the next week.
Have a great day!
Syd

Bookmark   December 25, 2006 at 5:54PM
More Discussions
The 73 most expensive photographs ever sold
Here's a cool article listing (and showing) The 73...
JamesScott86
Re-introducing myself
Hi my name is Juanita- I got into photography through...
juanital
Mid-range DSLR Recommendations?
I've been kicking around the idea of finally ditching...
Swentastic
Question about posting photos with Houzz
It's nice that we can post four pictures now from our...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Homemade PVC Photo Booth
I normally post in another Garden Forum, but thought...
oldalgebra
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™