Time for a new camera!

foosacubDecember 23, 2007

Entry-level DSLRs are where my budget lies. What's caught my eye so far: Canon Digital Rebel XTi/Nikon D40. I'd love to hear from anyone that ones one or the other, or has a recommendation to add.

My main concerns are dust, noise, 'crispness' of photos, true colors, and accessories - how readily available/expensive will new lenses be?

common issues mentioned in reviews:

Nikon - dust issues, noise.

Canon - underexposure, color quality, RAW is only format available without super-expensive software???? Huh?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
caudex1

My cousin and I debate this all the time, he has Nikon, I have Canon. We're always comparing lenses, from our discussions it sounds like Canon "L" glass is more expensive but I've never looked at the cost of Nikkor.

Canon underexposed, yes "P" mode is a bit under but I use manual mode most the time now and don't have the problem. You don't need to spend the $$$ on Photoshop, ACDsee pro($99) handles my RAW processing and I used the money I save to by more glass.

Color, that was what I noticed with the kit lens and don't have that anymore now that I use better glass.

I have the 20D and did not like the photo quality kit lens(17-55)and bought 17-40L f4($600+) a few days later. The next month I purchased the Canon 100mm macro lens($400+), and I still wanted more photographic range. Next came a 28-70L 2.8 ($700+), 70-200L f4($400+), these kept me happy for a while. Then I want a longer macro so I sold the 100mm on ebay for $50 less than what I paid for it and got a 180mm f3.5L macro ($1100). Then Canon came out with 70-200 f4 L IS($1100), sold the non-IS ($500 ebay) to get it. Since then I have purchased 2 more, the ef-s 60mm($600) and the 85mm f1.8($300). Only thing I want now is a long lens, maybe a 400 f5.6L ($1100) with an extended. Any longer and the price gets prohibitive for me.

You can buy cheaper Canon or 3rd party glass but you get what you pay for. They're all readily available, all my lenses were purchased online, usually a bit cheaper and more selection than locally.

Bookmark   December 23, 2007 at 7:20AM
More Discussions
error message 01 on Canon T4i
We have three of these cameras. 2 are getting the error...
jeaninwa
Mid-range DSLR Recommendations?
I've been kicking around the idea of finally ditching...
Swentastic
Question about posting photos with Houzz
It's nice that we can post four pictures now from our...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Fire in the sky
no photoshop~
jeaninwa
The 73 most expensive photographs ever sold
Here's a cool article listing (and showing) The 73...
JamesScott86
Sponsored Products
Ivory & Blue Napa Wool Rug
$49.99 | zulily
Fitzgerald Sofa - Bentley Daisey Yellow
Joybird Furniture
Crosley Companion Vintage Radio - Walnut - CR31-WA
$49.99 | Hayneedle
Congo Monkey Playsystem #3 with Swing Beam - MKY-3-SB-GR
Hayneedle
Geometric Twist Indoor/Outdoor Rug 2'3" x 4'6" - ORANGE
$59.00 | Horchow