Ordered faucet - did I leave something out???

bonsMarch 8, 2013

So I ordered the faucet for my kitchen sink (Hansgrohe, Allegro E) and wondered if I left something out?

My old sink/faucet also had next to it a little cylinder do-dad that was for the dishwasher I think - maybe in case it overflowed?? I really don't know what it was for. I just know I don't have one coming with the faucet. Do I need one?

I hope someone understands what I'm trying to describe. :-(

Bonnie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
localeater

That little cylinder is called an air gap cover. An air gap is sometimes needed in DW installation. You need to find out from your plumber, contractor, or DW installer if your installation will require an air gap. If it will, you will probably want to order a cover.
I don't know anything about what they are or what they do. Sometimes they are required by code, it has something to do with how high the drain loop for your DW can go, I think.
If you go over to the appliance forum there is lots of information about air gaps, or you can do a google search on 'gardenweb air gap".

Bookmark   March 8, 2013 at 7:50AM
suzanne_sl

What you don't want is for the dirty water from your DW to back up into your clean water supply. One way to do this is to install an air gap on the sink top:

Another solution is a "high loop" in the plumbing of the DW:

Clearly, the high loop is what one would choose by preference to having that junky cylinder sitting out on the sink. Unfortunately, some states' codes require the air gap.

Bookmark   March 8, 2013 at 5:51PM
Linelle

I have an air gap (Calif., old DW) and it's just not as tragic as some make it out to be. I think they all look pretty much alike and you should be able to pick up one with your choice of finish locally.

Bookmark   March 8, 2013 at 6:16PM
More Discussions
The perfect pad for a kitchen runner!!
I use a 12' long runner in my kitchen. It is an old...
bellsmom
Where to keep my oil near cooktop
So I am in the layout phase and trying to figure out...
Dietitian
Dishwasher placement: 36" or 12" from the sink???
I have seen several pix of DW been placed NOT next...
eleena
Please help me with my layout options. Again.
Hello! Several months ago I posted to get layout advice...
ainelane
Silestone Lagoon... Which one is the real deal????
I am experiencing the typical paralysis by analysis...
Anna Pensgen
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™