Different topic? What colors for family portrait?

mboston_gwNovember 4, 2009

I am hoping to get my small family together to have a family portrait done. There will be my son, daughter in law and their 4 month old baby boy, my husband and myself.

I don't really want to do holiday colors of red and green and would like to keep it not too dressy as I don't want them to have to go out and buy clothes for this.

Can anyone make a suggestion? Will go someplace to have this taken. We can do home shots but always seems someone isn't ready or someone looks goofy!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alisande

White is a flattering color. If casual appeals to you, I've seen some very nice portraits where everyone wears white shirts or blouses, and blue jeans (or black pants). If you feel you need more color, scarves would do it.

Bookmark   November 4, 2009 at 7:58PM
zitro_joe

Wear a color close to the complexion of the skin. That why the exposure isn't off. IF you have darker skin but wear a bright white shirt then contrast of the tones will place havoc on the metering and the exposure of the picture. For example, with darker skin you might have to pump out more power to properly expose the skin color, that pump of power might cause the white clothes to be over exposed. IF you have white skin, flash power is powered down to properly expose the skin, and if your wearing a dark fabric, then it becomes underexposed, a dark blob.

Nothing too bright nothing too dark and you ll be fine, you are going to a pro so if make a tad bit easier for him it should turn out great...also stay away from sheen material...oh the pain of taking pictures of wedding dresses.

Bookmark   November 4, 2009 at 10:30PM
mboston_gw

Thanks, I have seen the family shots on the beach with kahki pants and white shirts. Always looked nice but then thats on the beach.

We are all light skinned, mostly blonde or brown hair. I am leaning towards pale blue shirts and kahki pants for the guys, perhaps a little darker brown top and pants for me as I am the lightest hair color. My daughter in law probably has light blue to wear and the baby - has a tan and blue outfit that I gave him that I have never even seen on him.

Do you think that would work? Would the darker brown - say the color of mocha would be too dark for the other colors? I guess I could do white top with a darker scarf if that would work.

We once did a family picture of the three of us - all in black and we looked like the Adams family with brown hair!

Bookmark   November 5, 2009 at 9:54AM
More Discussions
Mojave Deserts Forgotten
This is a picture i took of a Spanish style home in...
manakay_831
Fire in the sky
no photoshop~
jeaninwa
Butterfly in my Garden
While working in my garden, this fella allowed me enough...
joyfulflowers
here are some bird pictures
I have a Nikon 5100 and 2 zoom lens one I use for the...
Lorna1949
predator in the tall grass
Ok its just a tiny 7lb cat; but she doesn't think so....
molossermom
Sponsored Products
Seagrass Giclee Luxe 4-Light Multi-Swag Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Parisian Eight Light Amber Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Kraus Bathroom Combo Set Pluto Glass Vessel Sink withWaterfall Faucet
Overstock.com
Red 7.5'' Lunch Box Container
$8.99 | zulily
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Surya Rugs Julie Cohn Ivory 8 ft. x 11
Home Depot