Start date approaching! Help me make a hood decision

GoosterMarch 2, 2013

My cabinets are arriving, the rooms are getting cleared and my start date approaches! I've made most of my decisions, but I have a major decision on the hood we're still waffling on. The room is rather long and narrow, and the hood is visually centered on one end -- we're trying to highlight some features on the short walls to help visually foreshorten the room and make it appear wider.

Anyhow, the range is a stainless-brushed chrome Cornufe, the cabinets white, the counters grey. We really only have space for a 36" wall-mount hood (up to 40 inches of space).

We're stuck decided between three options. The default, non custom choice is this Kobe:

Eclectic Kitchen design by San Diego Design-build Jackson Design & Remodeling
To be honest, it is the least expensive but it is well reviewed. It just leaves me a bit cold and puts a lot of stainless in one area.

We are also considering some customized Vent-a-Hood options (Prizer and Abakka are probably too expensive and I don't like the local Modernaire dealer):

Something that might look like this, except perhaps with a solid white or grey body instead of all stainless:

Modern Kitchen Tile design by Charlotte Walker Zanger
That backsplash tile was our original choice but the color in the end reads too creamy for our cabinetry.

Or something simpler, like this except with a grey or white body:

Traditional Kitchen design by Chicago Kitchen And Bath Kitchen Classics - Charles Heller
I like how the polished stainless lip real ads an element of shine that will play on some other design elements.

Here are the three in mockups:

This post was edited by gooster on Sat, Mar 2, 13 at 12:35

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
needinfo1

If you can afford it, the Ventahood with the straps and rivets. It is a nice complement to your range.

I too would prefer something with a little bit of oomph to it but have found them all to be quite costly. I actually saw this at Ikea the other day and like the looks (and price). I am trying to find some more about it.

(Recently I have been having problems getting pictures to copy for these forums. Sorry.) Ikea Datid hood http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80200651/

Bookmark   March 2, 2013 at 9:24AM
remodelfla

My vote is for the Vent A Hood.

Bookmark   March 2, 2013 at 9:38AM
Gooster

I think you are pointing out the right question I should have asked: knowing that custom might complement the design better, is the price delta really worth it? The delta is about $1.5 to $1.7K, but that gap would be cut down by upgrading the backsplash tile used with the plainer, standard hood.

Bookmark   March 2, 2013 at 12:38PM
michoumonster

gooster, i vote for the ventahood also. you might try looking at rangecraft hoods. they have a clearance section on their website with some nice hoods that look similar.

Bookmark   March 2, 2013 at 1:06PM
lyfia

My vote is for you mockup hood A.

Bookmark   March 2, 2013 at 2:49PM
More Discussions
Kitchen quote for RTA
I am shopping around for a redesigned kitchen. Below...
vonecu4
Help on Cabinet Approach / Selection
Hi, I've actively scoured the forum for useful tidbits...
fshine
Does this butler pantry addition add or detract from my kitchen?
My midcentury home has a very open plan and lots of...
rockybird
Feedback on revised kitchen layout
Hello again! After receiving some great feedback for...
kevinhoene
Kitchen colors....need something happy and vintage :)
I want to try to go a bit vintage with my low-dollar...
lavender_lass
Sponsored Products
Elite Brushed Chrome Bathroom Vessel Faucet
Overstock.com
Green & Purple Floral Throw Pillow
$22.99 | zulily
Wool Shop Dusting Supplies Telescopic Duster Refill HTWDHO
$12.97 | Home Depot
Philips | Orbit 1 Light LED Spot Wall Light - 53150
$150.00 | YLighting
48" Art Deco Vessel Console Sink
Signature Hardware