Cats in the Garden - yikes!!

gabbygardnerMay 20, 2009

Does anyone have a kind/organic solution to our two beauties using my flower beds and now my box garden as a litter box???

I just got through with the younger of our two spayed females potty training. She is extremely timid and jumps as any noise. I am not sure why, she was born and raised here. I think it is because the other cat is her mother, and after she had the last litter she was very ill and turned mean to all other cats in the house, including this daughter.

Anyway, they both use the new garden and new flower bed as their own little restroom. I just can't have it, but I don't want to use a chemical or anything that might harm them or anyone else who wants to enjoy the yard, not to mention the vegetables I expect to harvest in a few months.

Any help out there????

g

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carmen_grower_2007

Cayenne pepper sprinkled around the beds you don't want used.

Bookmark   May 20, 2009 at 12:01PM
sylviatexas1

& keep a spritzer bottle of water handy just in case you see them "thinking about" it.

Bookmark   May 20, 2009 at 1:01PM
sue36

Put a sprinkler on a motion detector.

Bookmark   May 20, 2009 at 9:41PM
petaloid

If you can, get some chicken wire screen and lay pieces on the surface of the new flower bed and box garden. That will make it difficult for the cats to dig holes, which will make it less fun to poop there. Cover with a light layer of mulch to disguise the screen.

Cats don't like the smell of citrus, so shredded citrus peelings scattered around the beds would also be a deterrent.

I wonder if there's any way you'd consider keeping the kitties indoors a larger portion of the day.

Bookmark   May 20, 2009 at 11:38PM
annzgw

Please don't ever use cayenne pepper to ward off animals. For cats it's even more harmful since they bathe themselves. A cat licking its paws and then washing its eyes will make for a painful experience.........and not one that they will relate to the garden.

Bookmark   May 21, 2009 at 6:58PM
More Discussions
Renal Failure In Dogs -
Hi, I took my rescued Cocker Spaniel to the vet last...
lucymarie
Dog throwing up yellow bile
Hi,what would be the most obvious reason for a dog...
debbiep_gw
Does anyone have a spayed dog that has a brownish discharge?
I came to this Forum to ask your opinions about something...
pickyshopper
Dog training human.....
I am an intermittent dog trainer. I worked hard at...
agmss15
My cat won't eat or drink
My cat Shonen stopped eating and drinking 3 weeks ago...
andrea_san_diego
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™