What are my options with what to do with all these video's?

polarprincessNovember 9, 2009

Hi, i have a digital movie maker camcorder that my husband bought about 9 years ago and i never did figure out how to do anything with it except for just shooting movies. it uses the mini dv tapes and i never even figured out how to transfer them to the computer although i imagine it is as simple as a USB cable, and then to burn them to a DVD? Is this type of videocam completely outdated now? As i mentioned in another post i am looking at buying a new digital cam and or videocam and was asking what to do with the videos once they are taken, but anyway- that's another post, but i also have some of the old big fat tapes(30 mm?) from an old camera which no one can find, and i was able to find an adapter to put them into a VCR to view, so my question is how would i then make a DVD of those? Am i going to have to buy a VCR/DVD recorder with dubbing capabilities? Or is there another way?

I did read once about a sony product that you could plug your camcorder or vcr into called the Sony VRDMC5 DVDirect DVD Recorder- has anyone used this and do you think it would solve both my problems? thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pjb999

If your camera really is a mini-dv, to get the images onto the computer, you usually need a firewire connection, many newer computers, especially Macs have them. Sometimes they do work with USB too. Read the handbook or go to the camera maker's website, you should be able to download a handbook.

If you want to, you can edit the movies and make a dvd all on the computer, if it's set up for it. Something like Windows Movie Maker or iMovie for the mac.

If you don't want to edit, then a DVD recorder will be the simplest, and you can use it like a vcr to record tv etc. Most these days have a built-in hard drive too, so you can make multiple disks of the same thing. Apart from Sony, many other makers produce dvd recorders now.

You will want to make sure you get one with a firewire jack so you can connect that way, it's the best and simplest, only one cable required.

Bookmark   November 14, 2009 at 3:24AM
More Discussions
kentuck_8b
19 most expensive photographs ever sold
Here's a cool article listing (and showing) the top...
JamesScott86
Lens isssues with cheaper digitals
Looked thru a couple of pages of forum topics for this...
robertz6
Re-introducing myself
Hi my name is Juanita- I got into photography through...
juanital
Question about posting photos with Houzz
It's nice that we can post four pictures now from our...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™