Broken Hearted this morning

notoloverMay 28, 2012

I am very sad this morning.

Although I have had dogs/cats in the past, because of my current situation I am only pet mom to 2 box turtles. They go out for the summer, but their enclosure had to be replanted. While I was doing that I had them out in a Tortoise playpen.

I have used this a lot since I got it, but I put it in a different spot yesterday and those 2 escape artists got out--there was only a half inch gap that I didn't notice. I think they worked together to lift it to get out.

Luckily my DH found the one I had the longest (over 30 years), but the little male I've had for about 15 years I fear is gone for good. My yard is not fenced and they headed for a wild area at the back of my lot. There are many places to hide. If he goes too far he will fall into an irrigation ditch and be swept away.

I live in the rural high desert so being an eastern box turtle, he doesn't know what he is in for. I am so mad at myself for not being more careful. I'm going to put some water and food out for him when it's sunny in that area, but I'm really not holding out much hope.

I feel so guilty knowing he faces certain death.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ninapearl

awww, i'm so sorry! do you think he might just be satisfying a little of his wanderlust and he will return to his partner? i sure hope he comes back! putting food out in a trail might lead him back to you. :(

don't beat yourself up, we all make mistakes! had he lived in the wild all of those years, chances are he might not have lived nearly as long.

Bookmark   May 28, 2012 at 10:12AM
notolover

Thanks for the encouraging words, I'm keeping an eye for him. Morning temps were in the 40s so I'm sure he's hunkered down somewhere for now.

I always joked that I wanted to put a chip on him that I could use a locater with since he was always the hard one to find in their enclosure when it was time to bring him in for the fall.

I don't know if they even make such a thing, but it would be handy in a case like this.

Bookmark   May 28, 2012 at 11:07AM
lily316

Good luck in finding him. Keep looking. He may return to his friend.

Bookmark   May 28, 2012 at 12:18PM
lukkiirish

Wow, that's a long time, I'm sorry this is happening and hope some how you are able to find him. I know it's hard, but do try to be optimistic, sometimes that and a little tenacity can work miracles.

Bookmark   May 28, 2012 at 7:35PM
petra_gw

I am so sorry! Our box turtle, Oscar, escaped his outdoor enclosure 7 years ago and we never did find him. Lots of hiding places here as well. We had him for almost 14 years. He was quite an escape artist and we used to discuss painting his carapace with really bright colors to make him easier to see, but were never able to find turtle-safe colors. Don't give up hope yet though, prior to his final escape, Oscar ran away many times and one time, he was gone for almost 2 weeks before I finally found him. Hopefully, your guy will show up as well. The best time to look for them seems to be very early in the morning, and after a rain when everything is still wet. Good luck!!

Bookmark   May 28, 2012 at 11:15PM
123joanneD

What a sad thing to happen :( I hope you'll find him.

Bookmark   May 29, 2012 at 3:07AM
spedigrees z4VT

I'm so sorry. Wow, 30 years is a long time, and even 15 years is longer than any of my dogs have lived. I'm hoping you will be able to recapture the escapee, but as Nina, said, he would likely never have had all these years, had he not been fortunate enough to be in your care.

Unfortunately they don't make small chips that are trackable. Microchips are only for revealing a cat or dog's owner when a lost pet is found. There are tracking collars, but heavy, bulky and expensive, unfortunately.

I hope you find your lost turtle.

Bookmark   May 30, 2012 at 3:50PM
lucillle

This is a sort of far fetched idea, but I thought I'd put it out there: There are bloodhound groups that do tracking for fun. Maybe see if one is in your area and in exchange for refreshments the group might come over and try to track your turtle. You would meet interesting people and it might work.

Bookmark   June 2, 2012 at 7:44AM
kashka_kat

Lucille, I had the same thought - a long shot but who knows. Ive heard of that method used for tracking lost cats - the hounds need to smell something with the pet's scent on it - bedding or etc.

Bookmark   June 12, 2012 at 12:28PM
More Discussions
UBAVET Joint Plus Glucosamine HCL
Does anyone have their dog or cat on UBAVET Joint Plus...
marielle(zone4b-5a)
how many of you like mice?
They are Ginny and scabbers.I don't have them now because...
adi003
My dog will not eat or drink, throwing up bile. Help!
Hi, I was hoping somebody could offer some advice with...
joe313
which dog should I get?!
I am confused on which breed of dog to get and I need...
adi003
My cat has an unknown illness! Help!!!!
Hi There I have a 14 and a half year old male cat Sylvester...
rachelmfi
Sponsored Products
9'x12' Broken Design Tone on Tone Wool and Silk Handmade Oriental Rug Sh19427
1800 Get A Rug
Calhoun Leather Single Arm Chaise - Brighton Aubergine Purple
Joybird Furniture
Westinghouse Lighting Shades 7-1/2 in. Handblown Gloss Smoke Globe with 4 in.
$11.59 | Home Depot
Sea Life Serving Tray
$29.50 | FRONTGATE
Cast Reproduction Bronze Clawfoot (Quantity 1)
Signature Hardware
Kraus Bathroom Combo Set Broken Glass Vessel Sink/Faucet
Overstock.com
Flos | Can Can Pendant Light
$345.00 | YLighting
New Plush Moroccan Off White Hand Knotted Wool 9x12 Broken Box Design Rug H5923
BH Sun Inc
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™