Image format for custom text

bill_g_webOctober 16, 2010

Is there a way to add text to an image, embedded in the digital file itself, not necessarily something that would be visible on the photo in a viewer? What I'm thinking of is something like an IPAD with a camera, so I can take a photo and add text to it using the Ipad soft keyboard. Maybe the file format would be a tiff? Then access the enbedded text with software so I could sort the images based on the text.

Thanks,

Bill

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mongoct

dSLRs are usually capable of having text info added to the photo files by the camera itself. Think along the lines of the camera writing EXIF data for each shot's date/time/lens/exposure and it "tagging" that info to the individual photo's file.

Well, most cameras allow you to add additional text info into the EXIF file data. I use it on my camera, but normally just as an identifier. My name, phone number, etc. I don't use EXIF as a searchable database.

I do add searchable metadata tags to all photo files, but I do it via batch during workflow. Most software programs have the capability.

You don't mention what you're using, but do a google search for something like "how to add metadata tag to photo file with XXX" (with "XXX" being whatever software or camera you are using) and you should find some good info.

Bookmark   October 17, 2010 at 1:20PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bill_g_web

Hey Mongo;

You sure get around between tiling showers. I was looking for a way to add data to a photo at the time and place of making the exposure, so I'd need a good input device like a keyboard, soft or hard, or better yet, a microphone and speech recognition software. That's why I was thinking IPad. (Picture quality may not be that important.) As far as file format goes, anything that works, be it EXIF or something else; XMP maybe. I don't yet have a camera/imaging device; just looking.

Bill

Bookmark   October 17, 2010 at 5:46PM
More Discussions
Homemade PVC Photo Booth
I normally post in another Garden Forum, but thought...
oldalgebra
Fire in the sky
no photoshop~
JeanInWa
predator in the tall grass
Ok its just a tiny 7lb cat; but she doesn't think so....
molossermom
kentuck_8b
error message 01 on Canon T4i
We have three of these cameras. 2 are getting the error...
JeanInWa
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™