upper respiratory infection in cats

honugirlhawaiiMay 5, 2010

I found a seriously ill kitten at a nearby farm. I immediately took her to the vet and she was treated for upper respiratory infection. A friend has kindly offered to care for this kitten in her home since this infection is highly contagious and I have two cats of my own.

Question: Have I endangered my cats by handling this ill kitten? I have soaked my clothing in a bleach solution and of course washed my hands.

I am so worried that I have brought harm to my cats by perhaps bringing this virus into our home. Has anyone shared my experience? Advice is sincerely appreciated.

Mahalo.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
olyagrove

Given your cats (very likely) strong immune system, and the fact that these URI viruses are omnipresent, your cats should do just fine :)

By washing your hands, clothes and shoes, you did the right thing. I hope the little kitten gets better

Bookmark   May 5, 2010 at 7:52AM
newhomeseeker

Your cats should be fine. One of my cats (as a kitten) had a very bad URI when I found her in the middle of the road. If I hadn't picked her up and took her to the vet the next day she might not have made it. At the time I didn't think to do any more than wash my hands after handling her (I didn't bring her in the house) and my other cat was fine.

I volunteer at a shelter and when upper respiratory viruses are making their rounds there I change my clothes before I get in my car, change my shoes and put my old clothes in a trash bag in my trunk. I obviously wash my hands but when I get home I immediately take a shower, wash my hair and throw my clothes in the washer and disinfect my shoes in virkon (bleach is deactivated by dirt). I probably don't need to take all those precautions but I don't want to take any chances. Cats are usually more suseptible to viruses if they are very young, very old or they are stressed. Your cats should be perfectly fine.

Bookmark   May 5, 2010 at 8:06AM
honugirlhawaii

Poor kitten did not survive the night. I am heartbroken.
I am glad that I did what I could for her but it is still so very sad.
I stop at the farm weekly for produce and eggs so will take the safety precautions you both so generously have shared.
Mahalo

Bookmark   May 5, 2010 at 9:53PM
olyagrove

How sad for the poor little kitten :(
It is nice to know you cared and tried to rescue her, thank you for that...

Bookmark   May 5, 2010 at 10:53PM
More Discussions
Anyone had a problem with 'DreamBones' dog snack?
Has anyone had any problems with a dog snack called...
cas66ragtop
Advice on trapping a stray cat
My husband and I have been feeding a lone stray cat...
honugirlhawaii
Dog throwing up yellow bile
Hi,what would be the most obvious reason for a dog...
debbiep_gw
cat with renal failure
My 17 yo cat has renal failure and has developed abdominal...
dlana
cats - non regenerative anemia
My 10 month old cat was diagnosed on Friday with severe...
miw-bast
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™