Family Cat Saves Little Boy From an Attacking Stray Dog

don_in_coloradoMay 15, 2014

This cat is my hero! She's out of nowhere, defending her human! You may have already seen this, but if not...She loves her boy-human!

Good Kitty!

Don B.

Here is a link that might be useful: Guard Cat

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
christine1950

I saw this on the news last night, Thank God the little guy is going to be OK, what a traumatic experience for such a little one. I hope the neighbors are fined and have to pay all the Dr. bills. I'm sure that courageous kitty got a great dinner & lots of hugs & kisses last night.

Bookmark   May 15, 2014 at 10:48AM
annzgw

So great to see cats getting credit for being protective! My current cat will attack my dog when he gets overly excited and starts his protective barking and I think she'd do the same with a strange dog that she decided was acting stupid.

Bookmark   May 15, 2014 at 12:18PM
laurief_gw

Some cats can be amazingly protective. I've had two family cats who exhibited that behavior, and both were females. One took on FIVE large, unfamiliar dogs at the same time in defense of a family dog. The other took on a stray cat who went after a family dog, though I think she attacked because she thought the stray was going after me. Attack cats are absolutely FEARLESS!

Laurie

Bookmark   May 15, 2014 at 12:29PM
calliope

What I don't understand is why, when the mother went to check on her child, she didn't scoop him up immediately to remove him from danger, should the dog come back? Instead, she ra the other way. I'm not surprised by the cat's actions, especially if it were a female cat. They can be very protective and fearless.

Bookmark   May 15, 2014 at 6:21PM
murraysmom Zone 6 OH

The mother was going around the other side of the car to make sure the dog wasn't still there.

Bookmark   May 15, 2014 at 10:33PM
dreamgarden

I saw the story! That cat was awesome! The family acquired the cat when it followed the mother and boys home from a park. Guess it was a stray?

Here is a link with a pic of the boy kissing the cat. You can tell the cat adores the kid!

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2630303/Hero-feline-saved-boy-dog-attack-throw-pitch-minor-league-baseball-game.html

Bookmark   May 16, 2014 at 10:37AM
violetwest

I'm normally a proponent of keeping cats indoors, but this would be a sadder story then. Dog was apparently euthanized, so sad enough.

Bookmark   June 5, 2014 at 5:05PM
schoolhouse_gw

Some days after the story hit the news I read that the dog was not put down as originally thought. I wonder tho.

Bookmark   June 5, 2014 at 5:21PM
don_in_colorado

The dog was eventually put down.

Don B.

Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 3:38PM
More Discussions
Smelly dog ears
I am not used to having a long floppy eared dog (Dachshund)....
lily316
Can I help a wild rabbit in my yard?
I live in Western NY state and I was shocked to see...
rochesterroseman
My cat won't eat or drink
My cat Shonen stopped eating and drinking 3 weeks ago...
andrea_san_diego
Help with death on my dog
perianal fistula disease. Does anyone have experience...
ronminsouthga
Cat,s ears causing misery
we adopted sweet kitty (8yrsold) just 6 wks ago. Took...
dancingirl_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™