Altiva 18/10 Stainless pans?

calilooNovember 1, 2009

Hey all

My DMIL just got a set of these and asked me if I knew anything about them. I can't find much at all - just that the company seems to be owned by Sears, and someone who posts on Allrecipes.com likes them for a smooth surface stove.

Are you familiar with this brand? Would you recommend them to a friend? An enemy? (okay, just kidding on the latter LOL)

Thansk in advance for any info!

Alexa

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hawk307

Alexa:
I saw this and thought it might be helpful.
LOU

What is 18/10 Stainless Steel Cookware?
If you browse through any display of fine cookware, you're likely to see "18/10 Stainless Steel" advertised as if itÂs a benefit for the cook. However, most people have no idea what this designation actually means. Learn what 18/10 stainless cookware is so that you can decide for yourself if it's a priority for your home cookware.

What Makes Steel Stainless?

Stainless steel is one of the most popular materials for cookware because it is smooth, doesn't stick easily, is resistant to corrosion, and because its natural gleam is very attractive. But what makes stainless steel different from regular steel?

Steel itself is an alloy, or combination of different metals, that is made up mostly of iron. Steel is made harder and more durable than iron by adding other metals such as carbon. However, steel remains prone to corrosion, rusting and pitting easily  which is far from ideal in cookware.

In order to make steel more suitable for use in the kitchen, another metal is added to the alloy  chromium. Chromium has a chemical property that causes the steel to react with elements in the atmosphere, forming a protective layer over its surface. This protective layer resists corrosion, far removing the chance of stains and rust marring the surface of your pans.

The first number in 18/10 stainless steel refers to the percentage of the alloy that is made up of chromium. In order to be considered stainless steel at all, that number must be at least 10.5%. A higher value of chromium means that the protective layer will be thicker and will repair itself more quickly if damaged. Therefore, 18/10 stainless steel has a high level of chromium, and will be more resistant to staining and corrosion.

What Makes Stainless Steel Bright?

Chromium alone is not enough to create the most durable and beautiful stainless steel cookware possible. The addition of another element to the alloy increases the effectiveness of the protective layer that forms over the steel surface, and also makes the cookware gleam more brightly. That element is nickel.

The second number in 18/10 stainless steel refers to the percentage of nickel in the cookware. Although 18/8 also indicates high quality stainless steel cookware, the higher both numbers are, the better the cookware.

In Conclusion

The number 18/10 in stainless steel cookware indicates a very high-quality, durable construction that will be highly resistant to stains, rust, and corrosion while maintaining a bright, attractive shine.

Bookmark   November 2, 2009 at 12:49AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
caliloo

Thansk Lou - I saw that info when I was searching, but it is pretty generic. Anyone have any additional info on this particular brand?

Thanks

Alexa

Bookmark   November 2, 2009 at 7:46AM
More Discussions
Weird "guy food" that's actually delicious?
You know what kind of food I mean? Not the kind of...
plllog
What can I make to go with..
Dh has a potluck on Friday. I am making red lentil...
tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
Pet Peeve
Over at the Kitchen Table, there is a Pet Peeve thread....
donna_loomis
Cookout for 150 people
I am having a cookout for my son's graduation, and...
Teffanie Hughett West
Need side dish idea and thoughts on dessert
I have been asked to bring a side dish for Easter -...
susan_in_nc
Sponsored Products
Rio Salado Twenty-One-Light Toasted Sienna with Mystic Silver Chandelier
Bellacor
Pharos Fan with Light
Lightology
Gold Silk 46 1/2" Long Chandelier Chain Cover
$19.99 | Lamps Plus
Ogee-G Cream Ceramic Baker with Metal Base 14�
Classic Hostess
Luxor Book Truck - BT3S27-P
Beyond Stores
New Traditional Deep Red & Navy Heriz Serapi 10'x14' Hand Knotted Wool Rug H3519
BH Sun Inc
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™