cat grooming?

carolssisApril 3, 2013

We adopted a cat last July. She was underweight and very skittish. She has over come those problems, but I see that she doesn't really groom herself. She was 3 years old when we took her home, and should know how to groom herself by now. I've taken a wet washcloth to her fur several times to try to help her out, it does not inspire her to continue her grooming. Her fur is very thick, she appears to be a Russian Blue. One of her adoption papers had that on it, not completely crossed out. Any way, how do I teach her to groom herself? Her fur is getting an oily feel, and I can see the dead skin if I pull her fur back to look at the roots. I do have a good brush to use, just not sure if I should until I get some advice. Any help will be gratefully appreciated! Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sylviatexas1

Much as I don't like to go to the vet, I think I'd take her to the vet

She may have more than just cluelessness as to grooming (even orphaned kittens groom themselves, it doesn't seem to me to be a learned behavior, like hunting);
it may be an aversion due to the way the skin tastes or feels, or her tongue may feel dry or unpleasant.

I wish you both the best.

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 8:59AM
More Discussions
help with my pet
Hello, My name is Janet, owner of a 3 yr old male Blue...
janet1971
Cat much less active than a few months ago
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has experienced what...
chi83
End of life care
Most of us have struggled with caring for pets at the...
socks
automatic Litter boxes.......
I'm trying to connect with other users of the Cat Genie,,,,,so...
dfdureiko
Can we say G A S
And it's not me, dh or my two old dogs. It's the new...
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™