how much to crop?

molossermomOctober 16, 2013

I spent a good ten minutes trying to decide where and how much to crop this photo to no avail. Is there a standard formula or rule of thumb that one is supposed to use when cropping a photo? Being a beginner I have "JCC'B'd" (just crop the cr@*#p in the background) my photo's.
Now that I have learned about boket and depth of field; I actually have a photo that doesn't have any cr#%*@p in the back to crop (I know, not that funny) how do I determine how much and from what side should I crop?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jeaninwa

Hi molossermom, good to see you here.
Your spider picture looks pretty good to me!

From what I've learned (I'm also a beginner), cropping can be a great way to "zoom". How much to crop is up to you. What looks good?

There is also a rule of thirds. If you're using Photoshop, there's a grid that comes up over your picture when you crop. What I do is try to get my subject in a crosshair, or where the lines cross on the grid.

Also, if you're going to print the picture, make sure the ratio is correct. I've used 5 : 7. Otherwise, when you print the picture, some part of it will be cut off because the whole picture won't fit in the area to be printed.

Here's an example of mine. This photo was shot in RAW and JPEG. That way, I have an example of the picture to see in my folder once I download them, and also a RAW picture to edit. This photo was NOT a macro shot. I cropped it to show the ladybug. When I cropped, the ladybug itself was in the upper right crosshair on the tic tac toe grid in Photoshop.

Hope this helps, and good to see you!

Bookmark   October 16, 2013 at 5:17AM
joan_mn

I just crop until I like the picture better. I don't go by any rules. I also use it to make the emphasis on whatever I was trying to capture, like jeaninwa said.

Bookmark   October 16, 2013 at 8:49AM
molossermom

Thank you for the warm welcome and the helpful advice.
I also use Photoshop but I didn't have my grid lines set to show.Part of my dilemma was that logically the spider was my focal point but i was planning on printing it to put on card stock for a halloween greeting card so I wanted enough of the web to add to the creepy factor. Also I decided the spider was just not quite as sharp as it could and should be; Not like the ladybug in you photo (which is outstanding! I love the colors you captured there.) So since I was going for a halloween themed greeting card I did what any creative Photoshop owner does and played with the extensive library of filters.

Bookmark   October 22, 2013 at 6:28PM
jeaninwa

Ohhhh that is wickedly creepy! Love it!

Bookmark   November 5, 2013 at 6:56PM
More Discussions
A question
I guess this is a somewhat different subject but it...
gmom74
Homemade PVC Photo Booth
I normally post in another Garden Forum, but thought...
oldalgebra
11 things that drive most photographers crazy
As I'm sure you already know by now, there are some...
JamesScott86
Butterfly in my Garden
While working in my garden, this fella allowed me enough...
joyfulflowers
here are some bird pictures
I have a Nikon 5100 and 2 zoom lens one I use for the...
Lorna1949
Sponsored Products
Amisco Nest 26-inch Metal Swivel Counter Stool
Overstock.com
Fairmont Designs Rustic Chic 36" Farmhouse Vanity - Weathered Oak
Modern Bathroom
Edge Drafting Chair in Black
$179.00 | LexMod
Nantucket Pink and Multi-Colored Round: 8 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rug
$336.95 | Bellacor
Seletti | Estetico Quotidiano Watering Can
YLiving.com