how to tell if a stray cat is pregnant or had kittens

emhorsechicApril 15, 2013

Hello. I live on a small farm with a few barns. We have a few cats that live there, all fixed except one male who is feral, althought we have some unfixed cats from neighboring farms who come and vistit often. We found a new stray that is extremely friendly, who has been living here for a few months. It is a female, probably about 3-5 years old. I know nothing about her except that she is an affectionate female tortiseshell. I'm not sure if she's pregnant or has had kittens. She got fat, and has continued to get fatter. Her stomach is almost hard, and not flabby or distended. She was up in one of the barns by the hay for a few weeks, and I found some indentations, a larger one, and 3 or 4 smaller indentations. Then, she started hanging up by the deck by the house. I'm not sure if she had the kittens and they died, or she moved them, or if she's even pregnant at all. What signs should I look for if she is pregnant? Or any behavior changes/patterns if she's pregnant or had the kittens? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
laurief_gw

If she's had and is nursing kittens, her nipples will be enlarged and pronounced. If she had kittens who died or were weaned recently (like within the last week or two), her teats will still be engorged with milk. If she is very pregnant, you should be able to feel the babies in her belly.

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 12:30AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
michelle_s_phxaz

If she is not staying in one place for long periods of time she has no kittens, a new mama won't leave their sides for the first month to 6 weeks except to briefly eat and relieve herself.

It is likely that she moved them, you will definitely hear them if she has kittens! They are little mew-machines, and if she likes you she will let you near them.

Other than that, everything Laurief said is good info.

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 1:31AM
More Discussions
skunky zoo smell on my cats
We brought our 5 outdoor cats with us when we moved...
ryseryse_2004
Am I confusing my cat?
I've had My Manx for 3 years this summer. He was an...
craftylady
What cute/funny things do your cats do?
I have one cat who fetches and will bring me toys asking...
violetwest
How to approach neighbors re: horrendous dog poo smell?
I'm sorry if this post is long, but I'm trying to give...
loralee_2007
Adopted a new dog :)
Last month I had to put down my sweet Charlee. She...
Linda's Garden z6 Utah
Sponsored Products
Commercial Electric 5 in. White Recessed Lighting Kit CAT101
$11.47 | Home Depot
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Home Decorators Collection Rugs Paloma Black
Home Depot
Continents Antique Globe Spheres
| Dot & Bo
Darya Rugs Suzani, Yellow, 5'1" x 6'7" M1710-405
Darya Rugs
Textured Lines Rug 4' x 6' - MUSHROOM
$799.00 | Horchow