Crescia la Formaggio-Cheese Bread

annie1992November 14, 2012

As you know, I bake all the bread we eat and I like to try new recipes. I found one on King Arthur Flour's website that used parmesan cheese, which I had. They called it an Easter bread, Crescia la Formaggio. It has 4 eggs, one of the whites is used to glaze the top, as well as milk and butter and all that parmesan.

It made a moist and soft loaf with slightly chewy crust and it's perfect for toasting. It also makes an awesome grilled cheese sandwich. King Arthur flour seldom steers me wrong, and I can whole heartedly recommend this recipe.

I did make the dough in the bread machine and then bake it in a 9x5 pan.

I'll definitely be keeping this recipe, it would be very good with chili or as a garlic bread too, I think.

Annie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

Nummy!!

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 1:07AM
whgille

That bread looks very tasty!

Silvia

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 7:48AM
momj47

Wow, thanks for the recommendation. I've been looking for a more savory bread to make. A lot of the bread now is sweetish and not good for sandwiches. Even the grandchildren are complaining about "sweet" bread - and that's about store bought bread!

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 7:52AM
momj47

Wow, thanks for the recommendation. I've been looking for a more savory bread to make. A lot of the bread now is sweetish and not good for sandwiches. Even the grandchildren are complaining about "sweet" bread - and that's about store bought bread!

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 7:53AM
centralcacyclist

What a beautiful bread. I love cheesy breads. I would eat the whole loaf, possibly all at once. Too dangerous!

Eileen

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 9:32AM
momto4kids

Yum Annie! I came here today looking for a cheese bread idea...and now I've found it!! Thanks!

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 9:51AM
teresa_nc7

Beautiful bread, as usual from you, Annie! Cheese and bread - the staff of life! I will look up this recipe and try it soon.

Thanks!

Teresa

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 10:34AM
pat_t

And yet you didn't get us the link or the recipe! Shame!

Here's the link:

Here is a link that might be useful: Crescia Formaggio recipe

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 11:35AM
pretty.gurl

That would be amazing dipped in a tomato sauce.

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 12:13PM
annie1992

Sorry, Pat, I was having some problems with links and photos last night, as you can tell from the huge pictures which I had reduced 3 times, but they didn't stay reduced!

That's why I referenced the King Arthur website.

This bread gets "cheesier" as you let it sit, I tasted the cheese more on the second day than I did right after it was baked.

Deb, I'm glad to see you here! I used "your" breadmaker, you know, that workhorse is still going strong, now I'll make rolls for Madison's first birthday with it, so a continuing "thank you"!

Momj47, this makes really good sandwiches, it's dense enough that it doesn't fall apart but soft enough to be "squishy", LOL.

Yes, Eileen, it's dangerous (wink) fortunately I have Elery and Cooper to help me with it.

Pretty_gurl, I'll bet the kids would like it with marinara and I think it would make awesome garlic bread too.

Silvia, thank you. As I said, King Arthur seldom steers me wrong, they definitely know bread.

Teresa, so far it keeps pretty well too, I think it's the eggs.

LindaC, is it yummy indeed.

Annie

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 1:46PM
doucanoe

That is a lovely loaf, Annie! I am going to try it as well. As soon as I finish off the asiago focaccia I made yesterday.

I was attempting to re-create the Sierra Turkey sandwich served at Panera. I used chef Ann Burrell's recipe from Food Network and added 1/2 c shredded asiago to the dough and another half cup on top. It was delicious and the sandwich was phenomenal!

I bet this bread would work very well for that sandwich, too!

Linda

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 3:20PM
More Discussions
I still love cooking....
I still love cooking and sorry to have been MIA for...
wizardnm
It just dawned on me.....
that there's no Recipe Exchange forum anymore under...
Jasdip
Pasta rolling pin aka mattarello
I'm planning on purchasing a mattarello or pasta rolling...
miscel
Shredding cheese
Just watching an episode of Cooks country where they...
debrak_2008
Waterlogue app
Photo of vegetables for tonight's dinner run through...
bbstx
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™