Heads are cut off photos !

gardeningannieSeptember 19, 2012

I love my Canon Power Shot SX40HS, but following a day of shooting and spending time editing ~ especially cropping ~ the printed photos are often a disappointment. While the edited versions looks perfect, the printed photos are often missing heads, arms, etc. I felt it was the fault of Walgreens who I upload too, but they were clueless as to the cause. I mentioned this to a friend who said it was due to my cropping and that I needed to go back and click on each image and re-edit them by making sure they are 4X6. This made sense until I tried to do it in my Microsoft Office Picture Manager, but there is no 'inches' option ~ only ratios, pixels and percentages. Do any of these convert to '4X6'? I'm at a complete loss and would appreciate any help you all can give ! Thanks, annie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iowagirl2006

I looked at MS Office Picture Manager - and there is an option for 4x6. Under CROP SETTINGS->ASPECT RATIO choose 4x6. You also have the option for landscape or portrait.

Do not crop too close. There will still be a "bleed" area that may not get printed depending on who prints your photos. Always leave just a little more than you need.

Bookmark   September 20, 2012 at 1:40AM
gardeningannie

Thanks, iowagirl2006 ~ I found the 4X6 setting just as you said and don't know how I missed it the first time ! I applied it to the photos that had the heads cut off and see what you mean about why they were printed that way. Damage done, is there any way to correct the problem? What about taking the CD of photos somewhere for printing instead of uploading to Walgreens. In other words, is this a 'fixable' problem that will result in a 'heads on' result??? These are pics from my daughters wedding last week and, of course, some of the best shots (the ones I monkeyed with the most) are the ones most affected. Thanks again.

Bookmark   September 20, 2012 at 9:50AM
lazypup

After you have your photos selected & edited as you want them, put them on a thumb drive or sd card and take that to Walmart,Kmart, Walgreens or where ever they have printing in the store. You can put your thumbdrive in the kiosk and the photos will come up on the screen. Select the size photo you want and it will outline the photo edge on the screen and you can shift the photo inside the outline until you get the alignment you want, then hit the print button.

Bookmark   September 20, 2012 at 1:19PM
gardeningannie

Thanks for all the help ! Tonight, I took my CD of photos to Costco and the nice guy there showed me how to 'save' my pics. He was great ~ photos look great (no more cut off heads!) and I'm a happy camper . . . I mean photographer. Learn something new every day. Thanks again. My Gardenweb family has never let me down. annie

Bookmark   September 21, 2012 at 12:23AM
rvird01

Hi Annie,
If you mostly print 4x6s, make sure that before you take your pictures that your aspect ratio set in your camera is set at 3:2. The sx40hs lets you shoot in the different ratios, 16:9 (widescreen), 3:2, 4:3 and 1:1. It defaults to 4:3 for some reason.
To change it to 3:2, with your camera set in a picture taking mode push your func set button twice. A menu will pop up with several things you can change on the left hand side. Toggle down to the aspect ratio (16:9 for example) then turn your wheel to the left or right to select 3:2 and push the func set button again. No cropping needed now for 4x6s.
Hope this helps. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask :)
Rhonda

Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 8:48PM
More Discussions
linear polarizing filter
Hi, I have a linear polarizing filter (make unknown)...
shakushinnen
Question about posting photos with Houzz
It's nice that we can post four pictures now from our...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
kentuck_8b
Lens isssues with cheaper digitals
Looked thru a couple of pages of forum topics for this...
robertz6
Miscanthus sinensis on display
I like this photo because it nicely displays my ornamental...
joyfulflowers
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™