What do you use to draw your floorplans?

Texas_GemMarch 29, 2014

I have been trying to figure out what to use to draw a quick floor plan in order to post.

99% of the time I am reading and posting from my phone or tablet and I haven't found any quick and easy floor plan app so I lugged out my laptop.

Now I am sitting here with the same problem on my laptop. I haven't re-installed photoshop since my last computer rebuild and I am honestly lost as to what I should use.

What do you guys use when you draw up and post a floor plan?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buehl

I "draw" it up in Microsoft PowerPoint, save it as a "jpg", upload it to Photobucket, and post it here.

I recently purchased Chief Architect's Home Designer Architectural, but I haven't had the time to master it yet. I did a layout for a friend in it and it took too long - but it was my first. I'll do a few more over time and then I'll be a pro at it! :-)

Bookmark   March 29, 2014 at 5:17AM
greenhaven

I use the virtual designer at the Lowe's website. You can email yourself a picture that produces a shareable link. It is also nearly the exact one Ikea uses but Lowe's has additional features and does not only permit Ikea fixtures.

Bookmark   March 29, 2014 at 7:10AM
tmy_jax

I did a lot of diagramming with good ol' fashioned graph paper & a pencil.

Then moved to MS-Power Point before finding this site. Once here, Buehl was gracious enough to provide a set of her Power Point templates. Those included electronic "graph paper", as well as various sized lower cabs, upper cabs, appliances. Super easy to cut, paste, "flip" or rotate into your space. (THANX BUEHL!!!)

I also use MS-Visio which allows a little more customization of cabinet sizes.

Lastly, the Lowes visualizer is a neat tool for generating 3D images to give you a better "feel" for space.

Whichever path you choose, make sure the image lines/text are dark enough to be useful to GWers & make sure to include dimensions of openings, aisles, etc.

HTH, tmy

Bookmark   March 29, 2014 at 11:26AM
robo (z6a)

I use excel. I select all, change column size to 2.23 (makes cols roughly equal to rows), add light grey borders and go from there. I usually use one square = 3" depending on what I'm trying to do.

Bookmark   March 29, 2014 at 11:54AM
Errant_gw

I've tried lots of planning softwares, but alway end up back in Excel. It really is the quickest and easiest way for me to draw up basic floor plans.

Bookmark   March 29, 2014 at 12:09PM
sjhockeyfan325

I always hand-drew floor plans, and left it to my KD to translate them into "professional" looking drawings.

Bookmark   March 29, 2014 at 12:26PM
More Discussions
How big of a range do you need for 13+ feet of wall?
We are narrowing down our kitchen design bit by bit,...
veroni2413
WAC vs. Seagull vs. Kichler or what else - "best" LED UCL
can someone please help/advise i feel like a fish out...
lmgch
Silestone lena
Has anyone used Silestone "Lena" quartz in...
magnoliahome205
Question for those who have Painted Conestoga Cabinets?
Curious if you went with mdf or paint grade center...
aries61
Faucet for kitchen remodel
I am having trouble finding the right faucet to go...
kathy6421
Sponsored Products
Handpainted Round Outdoor Dining Table, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
City Blues Clock
$53.99 | Dot & Bo
Fresca Torino 30" Espresso Modern Bathroom Vanity with Vessel Sink and Mirror
Modern Bathroom
Blu Dot | Strut Square Coffee Table
YLiving.com
Buttercup Rocker by Blu Dot
$899.00 | Lumens