Is there a mulch that deters fleas?

kittensApril 25, 2010

I'm getting ready to set up an outdoor enclosure for my cats. Is there anything I can put down that is pet friendly and would deter fleas in the area? It's going to be up against my house so I don't want anything that would bring in termites, either. Thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ninapearl

cedar mulch is good for deterring unwanted bugs but if you aren't already, you should be treating them with monthly flea/heartworm preventative. :)

Bookmark   April 25, 2010 at 9:07PM
mazer415

The cedar mulch is a good idea for keeping things smelling nice, you can also plant some white sage or artemisia to help out but to really deter fleas you MUST put donw something like Diatomaceous Earth (not the kind for a pool - that has added chemicals in it you dont want) get it from a garden store or on line. A small bag will last years. You can place the DE around the perimeter of the yard, the house and the enclosure. Be sure to not inhale the stuff too much, and it must be applied after a rain. Other than DE - the best thing you can use on your pets is Advantage or Frontline. Good luck

Bookmark   April 26, 2010 at 2:33AM
kittens

Thank you. I'm going to look into the Diatomaceaus Earth and see how that works as long as it's safe to use around them. I was really hoping to avoid having to treat them but will do so if it's needed.

Bookmark   April 26, 2010 at 7:13PM
Meghane

Heartworms are especially important to prevent because there is no treatment in cats and the first symptom is often sudden death. There are topical products that prevent both heartworms and fleas and there are oral medications for heartworms only for cats. The heartworm products also protect against intestinal parasites which can be a problem depending on where you live.

Bookmark   April 26, 2010 at 8:16PM
kittens

Ahh, I'll have to consider heartworms, too. Glad I posted. I might as well go for the treatment for both since I'd prefer not to have to orally treat one of my cats (she's extremely difficult). I'll still do what I can to try keeping the area flea-free just for some extra protection for them.

Bookmark   April 27, 2010 at 5:14PM
More Discussions
How to convince my parents ?
How can I convince my parents into getting a small...
adi003
which dog should I get?!
I am confused on which breed of dog to get and I need...
adi003
Cat pees in bathtub
Why does he do this. I think it is the only place...
ryseryse_2004
ACL tear in dog's knee
Hi everyone, Our dog Maggie was just diagnosed with...
Pinky920
Need recommendation for an easy grip leash
I've seen several when google searching the subject,...
arkansas_girl
Sponsored Products
Flea Market Fish Platter
Home Decorators Collection
Cassini Oval Suspension by Schonbek Lighting
$11,649.00 | Lumens
Serena & Lily Sol Rocking Chair
Serena & Lily
Auburn Stained Finish Pendant 1-Light
PLFixtures
Hammary Hidden Treasures Flea Market Rectangular Cocktail
Beyond Stores