Dogs and garden mulch

Dee1April 15, 2011

We used to have beautiful wood mulch around our plantings, but the dogs "ate" it. I don't think they actually ate it, but they destroyed it. Now we have different dogs and one of them actually eats wood. What kind of wood mulch would it be safe to put down?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mazer415

SO if you know one of your dogs eats wood, why put down wood mulch??
Can the dog you have that eats wood be trained to not eat wood?
Quite frankly most wood products that are available from the garden store have some checmicals on them, like fire retardant.
How big of an area are you considering? There are other alternatives to wood mulch including, stone, rock, ground cover etc...

    Bookmark   April 15, 2011 at 11:36PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Dee1

mazer, I am against using the wood mulch, but my husband insists. I thought maybe there was some kind of wood that was not toxic, but I guess I am wrong. I will keep pushing for another kind of mulch, but I'll bet you anything I lose! Then when the dog gets sick he'll complain about the vet bill. Thanks for your reply mazer.

    Bookmark   April 16, 2011 at 2:59PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
murraysmom Zone 6 OH

deel, I just spent over $400 because my dog swallowed just a couple of tiny pieces of mulch!!!

What about pine mulch? Probably much less tasty.

    Bookmark   April 16, 2011 at 3:27PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
petaloid

I think murraysmom's idea of pine mulch is a good one. As with bark, it uses up some nitrogen when it decomposes, so a little extra fertilizer might help in some plantings.

A layer of composted mulch will break down over time, attracting earthworms and improving soil fertility - I put down 2-3 inches each spring and my roses are happier.

There is a mulch product made of cocoa bean hulls which I would warn against -- if dogs eat it they can become very ill, just as when they eat chocolate.

    Bookmark   April 16, 2011 at 4:35PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mazer415

You need to make certain any mulch you get is not treated...it is very important. Placing any wood mulch will ultimately act as a help in retaining water, but for the first couple of years, the wood will actually pull moisture away from plants, sucking up the water until the cellulose breaks down....contact your local gardeners guild or agriculture department to see if youcan get some organic mulch...even a tree removal service might be able to deliver a load to your home for free, tel them what you want and you will be saving them a trip to the dump, just be certain it is pine, and not mixed....eucalyptus cuttings have loads of oil in them and are not so desirable. Good luck

    Bookmark   April 17, 2011 at 2:44AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
itching dogs -- please read
Wanted to let you all know bout a product called Biotin...
trisha57_ny
I'm new!
Hi every body ! My name adi i am going to buy a dog...
adi003
ACL tear in dog's knee
Hi everyone, Our dog Maggie was just diagnosed with...
Pinky920
loose aggressive dog on walk, need help
i need helpful advice about aggressive dog in neighborhood....
adoiron
My dog will not eat or drink, throwing up bile. Help!
Hi, I was hoping somebody could offer some advice with...
joe313
Sponsored Products
Four Savannah Gardens Placemats
$73.90 | Horchow
Paws and Bones Copper Pet Bowl - Small (9-1/2" dia.)
$129.50 | FRONTGATE
Floral Blue Patina Copper Hose Pot - Without Lid
Signature Hardware
Tricod Boy Holding Crackle Ball Solar Light Garden Sculpture
Overstock.com
Neo LED Bath Bar by Modern Forms
$269.00 | Lumens
GARDENA Electronic Water Meter - 9188
$49.99 | Hayneedle
Floral Pattern Art Print
$21.99 | Dot & Bo
Persian Garden Salmon Runner: 2 Ft. 6 In. x 8 Ft. Rug
$299.00 | Bellacor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™