A Happy Ending

kitasmommieApril 17, 2011

This past Wednesday, a man stopped - while we were out in the front yard - to ask if we had seen his two dogs that had escaped. No - we didn't.

About 15 minutes after he left, they were in our front yard. My husband & a neighbor searched the neighbohood for this man - but couldn't find him.

We put the dogs in our fenced back yard & I started making phone calls. Called the shelter & the local vet. Posted on Craig's list, posted on PET911 and called the phone number on the tag for the micro chip service - only one dog had a tag - (they were very rude - told me they couldn't help me as the number wasn't registered). Then I took pictures & starting putting up signs.

Wednesday turned into Thursday, the into Friday......nothing.

We had a couple of doghouses in the back yard that are no longer used. Cleaned them up - put in bedding (which the dogs hauled out & shredded all over the back yard). replaced that with some pine bedding, but they stayed out in the rain.

I was very concerned......what if we don't find the owners? We can't keep them - already have two dogs and I refuse to the surrender them to the shelter.....

Finally, Saturday morning, the owners contacted the shelter & they were able to hook up with us & th kids got to go home.

I was so glad...so were the owners. They were pleased that someone like us took them in - fed them, took care of them, played with them. He tried to give us a reward, but we declined.

My reward was seeing them go home with Mom & Dad.

Next time someone is looking for their dog - I will definitely get a phone number.

Also made me realize how important it is to make sure my dogs tags are in place......both need to be replaced.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lisa11310

It's always great to hear a happy story. Thanks for sharing ...and thanks for for keeping them safe.

Bookmark   April 17, 2011 at 7:44PM
petaloid

Thanks for the good advice -- I'm very glad you helped them get back home safe and sound!

Bookmark   April 17, 2011 at 10:04PM
pamghatten

Great to hear a happy ending - seems to be too many lost dogs with no tags or chips recently.

My neighbor picked up 2 dogs wandering down our rural road, turns out they belong to someone a couple miles down the road but it took a good 24+ hours of contacting animal control, etc. to find the owners.

And a friend just emailed from Atlanta that he found a dog over the weekend wandering with no collar, chip or tags. I told him to post on Craigslist and put up posters.

Bookmark   April 18, 2011 at 12:40PM
luvdogs

Tags are SO important!! I just changed my phone number and am in the process of ordering all new tags.

I like Boomerangtags.com - good quality stainless steel tags.

Check them out. about 8.00 per tag but worth it.

Bookmark   April 26, 2011 at 12:09AM
spedigrees z4VT

Thank you for helping to reunite these owners with their lost dogs, and for providing the lost ones with food and shelter and kindness. I love a pet story with a happy ending!

I agree, luvdogs, nothing is so important as tags! My collie who panicked during a thunderstorm, and my little sheltie who several times figured out a way to escape through the closed gate were both returned to me within 30 minutes thanks to the info on their tags.

I too am a big fan of boomerang tags. Their stainless steel tags last the lifetime of a dog and they are engraved deeply. I put as much info as I can on my dogs' tags (address, phone, cell phone, email, etc) and boomerang tags are engravable on both sides, so it all fits.

Bookmark   April 28, 2011 at 1:31AM
More Discussions
automatic Litter boxes.......
I'm trying to connect with other users of the Cat Genie,,,,,so...
dfdureiko
How to get my new cat to stop fighting old/current cats
I posted a few weeks ago for advice on introducing...
phish_gw
Help me please!
Hello everyone I need some advice! I've had my beautiful...
azuresnow
Renal Failure In Dogs -
Hi, I took my rescued Cocker Spaniel to the vet last...
lucymarie
Hyperthroid Cat Ear Gel - Handling Precautions?
Anybody used this? Did you follow the handling instructions...
lifeflower123
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™