Sustainable Cat Litter

flowerkitty12April 24, 2013

Hi everyone,
I'm looking for good recommedations for sustainable cat litter. I've heard Breathe Free Litterbox Mate pads are good for the environment, plus they're a inexpensive (major bonus!).
Is there anything else out there?
Thanks!
Erin

Here is a link that might be useful: Breathe Free Litterbox Mate Pads

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oregpsnow

Any of the new. alternative source litters are sustainable. There is recycled paper, wheat, corn and more. I have used the Swheat Scoop for 5 years with good results. Seems like there are new materials coming out all the time.

I would recommend going to a big pet website like Petsmart or Petco and browsing the selection. Just beware - there are as many different opinions on cat litter as there are on politics and religion. You really need to try it with your cat(s).

Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 1:26PM
spedigrees z4VT

As far as "sustainable" which I assume means environmentally friendly, clay litter is certainly that. Obviously it has its drawbacks, dust being the primary drawback.

Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 4:31PM
oregpsnow

spedigrees - Sorry, but clay litter is NOT environmentally friendly. It is strip-mined, leaving huge bare, open pits. Recently the companies have been pressured to repair the damage but it is still damaging. There is lots of info on this online.

Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 7:30PM
lazy_gardens

It depends on where you live ... I use pellet fuel made from the leftovers from lumber mill operations. It's ground up, compressed bark and mill scraps.

It takes less transportation to get it to me than if I bought wheat or corn based products from the Midwest.

And we compost the used litter (minus cat poop) for less waste and better garden.

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 12:44PM
oregpsnow

Pellets sounded good to me but my cat didn't think so. Some cats that are raised on small-particle cat litter and like the way it feels when they dig in it won't move to the pellets. And my cat sure likes to dig.

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 12:50PM
jackieblue

Blue has a litter made out of walnut shells. I like the thought of it but having tried it now I can say it tracks around quite a bit and stepping on small pieces of walnut shells in bare feet is not a pleasant experience. It isn't bad as a litter so if you have your box(s) in a place where tracking a bit wont matter much then its worth a try.

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 11:22PM
More Discussions
Suddenly lost use of rear legs.
My 6 year old Golden suddenly lost use of his rear...
jgatty
dog suddenly licking snow and plants
Today, like normal, my dog woke me when she needed...
greengirlreba
Anyone had a problem with 'DreamBones' dog snack?
Has anyone had any problems with a dog snack called...
cas66ragtop
How to get my new cat to stop fighting old/current cats
I posted a few weeks ago for advice on introducing...
phish_gw
Adopted older stray dog now poops in the house...
Hi, I adopted a stray dog from mexico. She is very...
Lynn Souliere Neal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™