nightime blooms-?

molossermomSeptember 22, 2012

Hi all ,

I dont ever post because the browse button is usually sufficient for a beginner like me. How ever I have a giant white flower in my back yard that only blooms once a year at night. I havent got a clue what it is ( another reason i'd like to get a great photo ) but night time macro shots are something i have yet to learn . any tips , short step by step would be soooo apreciated just to get this one shot . I do have a tri-pod, and a remote release (havn't used it),and my camera is a Canon EOS T3i, thank you .

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
molossermom

Here's what i managed to capture last night. I hope it is at least good enough to convey its potential. what should I do diffrent when it bblooms next year? Keepping in mind it blooms only at night. The second pic is what it looks like at dawn.

Bookmark   September 22, 2012 at 7:24PM
molossermom

at dawn

Bookmark   September 22, 2012 at 7:25PM
kentuck_8b

Use really bright lighting and maybe a longer time setting on your camera, with a tripod of course.

Did you try using a flash?

Kt

Bookmark   September 22, 2012 at 11:24PM
molossermom

I did use the built in flash the ones I took just using the halogen light attached to my garage definitely wasn't working. But I do have an external flash with at least one filter if that would be better. And so besides flash the flower needs direct bright light from say no more than 3 ft away or so that the entire flower is illuminated ? Does it matter how much it's surrounding is illuminated? The lady that gave me this plant has more than one and she thinks some of hers will be blooming in the next couple of nights. So I might not have to wait a whole year to impliment some changes and get a better shot. Thanks for responding to my post.

Bookmark   September 23, 2012 at 12:40AM
kentuck_8b

I don't use any external lighting when I use my flash. Even in almost total darkness, when using a flash and handheld, the pictures come out really nice but then I rarely take extreme close-up pics like yours.

Here is one I took from about 1 foot distance in the dark.

Kt

Bookmark   September 23, 2012 at 9:55AM
molossermom

Thanks Kt.Thats what i'll do when my neighbors flowers bloom. I'll admit the main reason I was doing such a close up shot is my background was horrible and not much i could do about it.i wouldve had chain link and gardening equipt picking up flash since i haven't planted it yet. fortunately my neighbor has lots of low and high light illuminating her yard and since this bloom is about 6 to 8 inch a shot from a distance might be better.

Bookmark   September 27, 2012 at 3:16PM
K8Orlando

Your plant is a night blooming cereus. They are stunning when blooming, aren't they?

I took these a couple years ago using a simple point-and-shoot camera with flash. Could have been a Nikon Coolpix or a Canon; I don't recall which.

Kate

Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 8:14AM
molossermom

Thanks Kate.i'm going to love being able tell people what it is rather than just describing it. And yes they are stunning! And they smell heavenly as well. My starter plant did produce a second bloom since my initial post; a bit smaller but just as beautiful. Suprisingly it stayed open until 9 or 10 a.m. Here's what I managed to capture this time. Thanks again for the info.
Nikki

Bookmark   December 13, 2012 at 5:04AM
molossermom

I found a few time lapse youtube videos of the noght blooming cereus. This one i found to be very well done. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJc1IhESV8c

Bookmark   December 13, 2012 at 10:53PM
More Discussions
Re-introducing myself
Hi my name is Juanita- I got into photography through...
juanital
The 73 most expensive photographs ever sold
Here's a cool article listing (and showing) The 73...
JamesScott86
Help with old photos from a Kodak digital camera
I recently found several old floppy discs that I had...
don_na_na
Digital or Otherwise?
Have scads of photo equipment based around a Canon...
pink_warm_mama_1
Mid-range DSLR Recommendations?
I've been kicking around the idea of finally ditching...
Swentastic
Sponsored Products
White Solar Power Motion Activated 50 LED Flood Light
Lamps Plus
LA Baby Nightime Orthopedic Crib Mattress - MT-5182-RQP
$89.99 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™