Help with kitchen paint color

InxsaryMarch 27, 2014

Hello everyone, I've been lurking for awhile...but now I need help. Having a difficult time finding a color for my kitchen walls. Cabinets are espresso, and we recently had a recycled glass countertop installed, which is blue (blue and white, but mostly blue). I need a color that won't be too overwhelmingly dark, as it's a relatively small space, but will make the blue "pop." Currently experimenting with greys and a dark blue. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bestyears

Gosh that's pretty! I general, I would be tempted to color match either the very darkest color in the countertop material, or the very lightest (which might be white?). In your case, it sounds like going with a dark blue wouldn't work in your space, but I think white could be stunning.

Bookmark   March 27, 2014 at 12:38PM
Inxsary

Here is a better photo of the kitchen as a whole. Every wall in the house is white....and kinda looks blah next to the cabinets.

Bookmark   March 27, 2014 at 12:43PM
Inxsary

Better photo of the kitchen as a whole....

Bookmark   March 27, 2014 at 12:45PM
bestyears

Yes, I agree, it does look blah.

Could you color-match an pale icy blue in the countertop? Do you have a small leftover piece you could take with you?

Love, love, LOVE those countertops!

Bookmark   March 27, 2014 at 4:14PM
tibbrix

I love chocolate brown with blue. It's one of my favorite color combos.

I wouldn't paint the walls blue, though. Blues are hard to match, and i think it would have the opposite effect of making the counters stand out. Rather, I'd paint the walls something like Benjamin moore's Sparrow.

Bookmark   March 27, 2014 at 4:26PM
les917

I would stay away from the greys and blues, which will actually keep the blue from being as important. I would rather see you pick a deeper color from your floor tile, and let the blue countertops be the focal point.

I was wondering if you can paint the front of the breakfast bar to match the kitchen cabinets? I think it would make the space more unified and finished.

Down the road, I think it would be great if you could add undercabinet lights, again to make the countertops the focal point.

Pendants over the breakfast bar would be great, especially if you went with something fun in shades of orange glass, which would again help bring out the blue, and would be a fun contrast to the dark cabinetry.

Then add a piece or two (stacked one over the other) on that end wall on the left in the pix that you love, but perhaps has a few hints of the dark blue or some orange.

Bookmark   March 28, 2014 at 6:06AM
tibbrix

Oops, not Sparrow! Way too dark. Meant something like BM Himalayan Trek. If you go to the Benjamin Moore site, you'll see they even pair it up with chocolate brown and a blue as colors it goes well with.

Bookmark   March 28, 2014 at 8:12AM
nosoccermom

Agree with Tibbrix: Is there a warmer gray/beige/greige in the counter top?

Bookmark   March 28, 2014 at 11:27AM
More Discussions
can anyone school me on encaustic tile?
I've found a pic of this gorgeous bathroom tile but...
daisychain01
Need help for exterior of home!
My husband and I recently bought a 1960's mid century...
betsmurph198
Help coordinating an antique chandelier ?
\\Hello all! I'm working on lighting now...:) I have...
eesmerelda
What is a McMansion? Tell Us In 25 Words or Less
Everybody seems to have his or her own definition of...
kswl2
Is Restoration Hardware bedding worth it?
I've been searching for the perfect white quilt for...
artydecor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™