Are cats any more cooperative when taking pain meds?

phish_gwApril 19, 2014

I'm debating a mastectomy for my kitty (there is another post on this and I'd love to hear stories from others who have done this).

Anyway, one issue is I don't want to put her through unneccessasry pain. If she were a person I'd say "well at least she can have pain meds to get her through it". But as we all know, cats are not cooperative about taking meds.

I'm wondering if they are any more cooperative about taking pain meds? I'd like to think that on some level they knew the pain meds made them feel better. Or if she is weak from the surgery, maybe she wouldn't fight me as much. Or maybe she would fight and her fight would be painful because of the surgery. Anyway, I'd love to hear if kitties are better about taking pain meds than they are regular medicine.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
laurief_gw

Ask your surgeon about the fentanyl pain patch. It's a patch that is applied to the cat's skin and will provide pain relief for up to about 100 hrs before needing to be replaced. Another option is to see if an oral pain med can be compounded into a transdermal gel that can be applied to the inner ear flap. Or you can just use Pill Pockets, which I have found to make administering oral meds quite easy in most cases.

From what I learned when researching Somer's mammary cancer, though, the surgical center will typically keep the cat hospitalized for a while after mastectomy surgery specifically for the purpose of providing adequate pain relief. It is, from what I was told, a very painful surgery.

Laurie

Bookmark   April 19, 2014 at 3:54PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
emma

I had no problem giving my cats pills. The vet told me to use a large bath towel, wrap it around her neck and enclose the feet in it. No scratches or bites that way. It sounds awful, but it works.

Bookmark   April 19, 2014 at 6:18PM
More Discussions
Constipated Kitty (Warning - LONG)
Hi All - I haven't been on the forum in quite awhile,...
manda3183
Smelly dog ears
I am not used to having a long floppy eared dog (Dachshund)....
lily316
Cat,s ears causing misery
we adopted sweet kitty (8yrsold) just 6 wks ago. Took...
dancingirl_gw
dog suddenly licking snow and plants
Today, like normal, my dog woke me when she needed...
greengirlreba
swee' Pea got her angel wings yesterday
I lost my sweet dane girl to liver failure. It was...
Ninapearl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™