Ann T, I made Julia Child's scrapple recipe!

shamboNovember 30, 2012

Ann posted this recipe a while ago, but since I always make scrapple from a Thanksgiving turkey, I didn't try until this week. I think adding the eggs and baking the scrapple makes a big difference. It was much firmer than the all cornmeal version I usually make -- much easier to slice and flip over in the frying pan.

I doubled the recipe and did not add salt. But I seasoned heavily with thyme, rosemary, pepper, and poultry seasoning. And I used my homemade turkey stock and all the bits of meat left on the carcass. I cut the slices about 1/2 - 3/4 inch thick and dredged them in flour. All in all, I'm really pleased with the results and will continue to add the eggs & baking step. So, thanks, Ann, for the recipe.

Here is a link that might be useful: Julia Child Scrapple Post

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ann_t

OOOH, that looks really good. Now that I've seen it, I am definitely going to give this a try. Sue, thank you for making it.

~Ann

Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 9:38PM
ritaweeda

A very good friend of mine from Pennsylvania promised to bring me back some scrapple from a trip back home since I'd never tried it. She raved and raved about it. Well, yuck. It must be a Pennsylvania ridge-runner thing.

Bookmark   December 1, 2012 at 6:00AM
shambo

Rita, I'm not sure I'd like the traditional Pennsylvania Dutch scrapple either. Julia Child's recipe is made with pork sausage, no weird meats. My "traditional" recipe is made with the bits & pieces of meat picked off a roast turkey and the stock from the turkey carcass. Again, no weird meats.

I'm a California Greek and a friend told me about this way of using up the leftover Thanksgiving carcass years ago. Never heard of scrapple before, but once I tried it, I really liked it. It's now a family favorite.

Bookmark   December 1, 2012 at 2:00PM
ritaweeda

Well my relatives are all from WV, and from the way they described it, sounds like it was made from all the trimmings, too. But I took a chance and tried it and just didn't care for it. I'm sure there are different ways to prepare it, but the hill-folk (WV-ians and Pennsylvanians) do it the old fashioned way, from the scraps. And as for trying head-cheese and souse - I think not!!

Bookmark   December 1, 2012 at 5:10PM
pink_warm_mama_1

Ritaweeda try the store brand of scrapple called RAPA. Use an iron fry pan and cook slowly to get a yummy crust on the outside while nice and soft inside. I was raised on homemade scrapple, but still prefer RAPA over the Pennsylvania type. Yummy with a piece of toast.

Bookmark   December 2, 2012 at 12:11PM
More Discussions
To Fava or not to Fava?
For my cooking/recipe club, I'm preparing Braised Lamb...
bbstx
The Monkey Princess makes pasta and pies
The Princess has Italian grandparents on Dave's side,...
annie1992
Biscuit Experts
Can I substitute greek yogurt for buttermilk in a biscuit...
cactuscatie1
Need side dish idea and thoughts on dessert
I have been asked to bring a side dish for Easter -...
susan_in_nc
Any ideas for baby Indian eggplants?
I picked these up at Sprouts (there was a large, nearly...
Gooster
Sponsored Products
Wall Mounted Chrome Round LED 3x Magnifying Mirror
TheBathOutlet
Chooty and Co. Circa Solid Lava with Taline Fur Cuff Christmas Stocking Multicol
$34.97 | Hayneedle
Bora Da Pillow
Design Within Reach
Classic Lighting Bella Uva English Bronze & Gold Ten-Light 32 Wide Chandelier
LuxeDecor
Revive Double Horizontal Designer Radiator Anthracite 25 x 39 3/8
Hudson Reed
Ceramica Globo | Globoconcept Wall-Hung Or Vessel Basin SA02
$1,602.25 | YBath
Butler Plantation Cherry Hester Low Boy Console
Beyond Stores
Safavieh Hand-hooked Ferns Black/ Olive Wool Rug (8' Round)
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™