Upper cabinets - Bi-Fold Lift Ups or Single Flip Ups?

willyp5March 1, 2013

I'm trying to decide between two lift systems for my upper cabinets:

bi-fold lift ups
http://www.blum.com/us/en/01/10/40/

single flip ups
http://www.blum.com/us/en/01/10/10/

Curious to hear different opinions and experience with either. I've heard that the lift ups lose their tension after a while but not sure if that's specific to a manufacturer or in general.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marcolo

What height are your uppers? From the link:

Single
AVENTOS HK works with medium and small cabinets, ranging in size from:

Cabinet heights from 11-13/16" to 24"
Cabinet widths from 15" to 72"

Bi-fold
AVENTOS HF is ideal for tall and medium size wall cabinets that range in size from:

Cabinet heights from 19" - 42"
Cabinet widths from 15" - 72"

Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 9:14AM
Circus Peanut

I had the single swing-ups for many years in various German kitchens and loved them -- the only drawback being the occasional pinched finger if I was grabbing a plate near the edge and shutting with the other hand -- but this is a hazard of any type of hidden hinge, really. The mechanisms take up some space on the inside wall of the cab, too.

Those bi-folds look interesting; I wonder how irritating that hanging/folded top door would be over time?

I do love that these swinging upper doors don't hit you in the face when you leave them open, the way American side-opening uppers do. Also, you can open all the cabinets as you work and not have to shut one to get inside the other. I don't know why we don't use more of these hinge types over here...?

Blum is a good brand and the Aventos lift-ups shouldn't lose their swing prematurely. Check out Haefele versions as well; each brand has a different arc and one swing might accommodate your space better than another.

Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 10:46AM
willyp5

For the flip ups (Aventos HK), the max height us 24" so that's what we'd do. If we go with the bi-folds (Aventos HF), we'd probably go with 30-36". We don't necessarily need more storage capacity so are more concerned about ease of access as well as looks.

Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 11:29PM
suzanne_sl

I've never used either kind, but I wanted to show the pictures for others who are as curious as me.

Bookmark   March 2, 2013 at 3:27AM
More Discussions
Quartz Countertop Color
We are going with quartz countertop for our kitchen...
kathy6421
Barker cabinets?
So who has Barker cabinets and would be willing to...
tigger9759
Conestoga people, how did you do glass cabs? They don't do glass?
We were getting an estimate for some bar cabinetry,...
happyallison
marble bathroom counters in ladies room- real life
This marble counter is in the ladies' room basement...
scrappy25
Please help me with my layout options. Again.
Hello! Several months ago I posted to get layout advice...
ainelane
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™