Can I Bake Sweet Potatoes Tonight & Just Reheat Tomorrow?

amck2November 21, 2012

The subject line pretty much says it all. I'm trying to conserve precious oven time needed for the turkey tomorrow & wonder if I can bake halved sweet potatoes tonight and reheat them when the turkey is resting tomorrow.

These are just plain sweet potatoes to be served plain - something DH grew up having & it wouldn't be Thanksgiving dinner (for him) without them... Any reason you think this is not a good idea?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Annie Deighnaugh

Sounds fine to me...let them warm up to room temp and pop them in the oven after the turkey comes out.

Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 8:54PM
westsider40

Sure. I just did that. I roasted 8 large ones today, to a very soft doneness, peeled and mashed them and they were so sweet without any additions or even salt, that I left them plain. Then I roasted 4 long ones to be cut unpeeled for tomorrow and they looked great. My fussy cousin confirmed their goodness.

Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 9:56PM
bulldinkie

I got mine ready to stick in the oven.Turkey is in slow oven all night.

Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 10:17PM
mtnester

The only thing I'd do differently is to leave them whole when you put them in the oven. I usually wait till they're nearly done, then cut them in half, mash them with a fork to soften them up (you could add butter then, too, but I don't), and then return them to the oven for the last 10 minutes or so.

If you cut them in half before baking, they form a "skin" on the cut surface, and the firmer texture makes them more difficult to mash.

Sue

Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 11:03PM
More Discussions
Big Weekend Ahead
Hi everyone, I'll be making Crab Stuffed Mushrooms...
moonwolf_gw
A couple more questions about the new format
I've noticed that there's an underline, then gw after...
sally2_gw
What's Your Favorite Meal? To cook, to eat, to repeat...
Celebrate the continuation of the forum, and tell me...
plllog
Once it was so easy..............................
To find whatever one wanted quickly. Now everything...
Robert Givens
Monkey Princess makes pretzels
The Monkey Princess decided that we needed to learn...
annie1992
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™